Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread - 5

Out of all the quick breads I make (my current favorites being zucchini and pumpkin), I was shocked to discover that I’ve never actually made my own banana bread before. I decided this must be remedied immediately, and I also decided it would be the perfect time to try out my new mini loaf pans. I used applesauce and yogurt instead of oil in this recipe to make it a little healthier, and I think the added flavors from those ingredients made the bread even better. Plus, you can never go wrong with dark chocolate! After refrigerating the loaves, the chocolate chips added a nice crunch to the bread that I can’t get with nuts since I’m allergic to them. But, if you’re allergy-free, you can always throw in some walnuts. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9×5″ loaf pan or about 5 mini loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread - 1

In a medium bowl, mix together the bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, yogurt, and applesauce.

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread - 2

Gently mix the banana mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan(s).

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread - 3

Bake about 55 minutes for a full-sized loaf or 30-40 minutes for mini loaves, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool. The bread can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for about 3 days.

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread - 4

Posted by on July 13, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. I love chocolate chips in banana bread more than regular banana bread. So good.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:08 am

2. what gorgeous loaves. The chocolate chips make this over the top great though, yum. I bet they smelled great baking

by Jennifurla on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm

3. Love banana bread! Never thought of adding chocolate chips! Yum!

by Ingrid on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:52 pm

4. I always have bananas in the freezer. I will have to get some out to make this recipe!

by Maria on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:51 am

5. I could totally go for some of your banana bread right now!! Looks fabulous!

by Jenny Flake on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:59 am

6. I love chocolate chip banana bread. It’s such a great snack, I often have it for breakfast!

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm

7. How on earth have you never made banana bread before? What do you do with your old brown bananas?
    Sadly, I don’t like chocolate mixed with my bananas. It always *sounds* good, but I never end up liking it. But I’m glad you found a recipe you love!

by Small Town Runner Karen on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm

8. One of my favorite types of bread is banana bread. I’ll have to add chocolate chips next time. It looks fantastic!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm

9. I love banana bread and I love the healthy additions you have made, and definitely dark chocolate makes everything better:)

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:29 pm

10. Dark chocolate and bananas are perfect match. I love simple breads like this one.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm

11. Looks amazing…and delish!

by Amanda on Jul 15, 2010 at 9:07 am

12. The only thing that beats banana bread is banana bread with chocolate. Yum!!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Jul 15, 2010 at 11:24 am

13. Banana bread is one of my favorites, and I usually add chocolate chips, too. I always get excited when there are over-ripe bananas on my counter because I know they’re fair game for baking 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm

14. Banana bread is so comforting. Pair is with chocolate and it’s nirvana. Yours looks super delicious.

by Eliana on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

15. HOw great…I always say that I am going to try and use the applesauce method but didn’t want to lose any yumminess. Glad to hear that not only was it good…but possibly even better than the oil ~ can’t wait to try this!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:08 am

16. I absolutely adore banana bread, and chocolate chips sound like such a natural addition!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jul 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

17. Hola hice tu receta de Pan de plàtano quedo delicioso!!!!

by Ana Savo on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:46 am