Kohlrabi Curry

Kohlrabi Curry - 5

Last Monday, when I went to pick up my second CSA of the year, one of the farm owners was telling me and another shareholder about the kohlrabi she planted this year. She also mentioned that she’d like to have a section on the farm’s blog to feature recipes from the shareholders that they come up with for all of their CSA goodies. Of course, I told her that I would would love to come up with some recipes! So, she gave me one of the kohlrabi to cook with this week.

Kohlrabi Curry - 1

I did a little research on kohlrabi, having never even seen one before, and found out that its name means “cabbage turnip” in German (kohl for cabbage and rübe, or rabi, for turnip). They can be eaten cooked or raw, and you can eat the leaves as well…they taste like cabbage or broccoli stems. I also found out that they are very commonly eaten in Indian cuisine, which piqued my interest. So, for my kohlrabi recipe, I decided to make a curry. Both hubby and I really enjoyed our first experience with kohlrabi – and I hope you do, too!

Ingredients:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the kohlrabi with 1 tsp of the olive oil and 1 Tbsp of the minced garlic. Spread evenly on a baking sheet.

Kohlrabi Curry - 2

Bake about 20 minutes. In the meantime, cook the basmati rice according to package directions.

Kohlrabi Curry - 4

Dice the onion and tomatoes. In a medium sauce pan, heat the other tsp olive oil and 1/4 cup of the water. Add in the mustard and cumin seeds.

Kohlrabi Curry - 3

When the seeds begin to sputter, add in the onion and saute until tender. Then, add in the tomato and cook just until tender. Add in the roasted kohlrabi, along with the lemon juice, curry powder, chili powder, salt, and other half of the garlic and water. Cook on low 8-10 minutes or until the water cooks down. Serve over the rice.

Kohlrabi Curry - 6

Posted by on July 5, 2010.

Categories: dinner

1. Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! We are up to our ears in kohlrabi! I’ve been sneaking it into mashed potatoes to use it up. This will be a nice change of pace!

by DessertForTwo on Jul 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm

2. Looks great, Tracy. I love Indian food, so will keep this recipe on mental file. ;)

You know, I have been in my organic co-op for over a decade and we have never gotten kohlrabi?! Of course, now that I’ve said it… watch we get some this summer! LOL!

by Christine on Jul 5, 2010 at 6:36 pm

3. This sounds and looks delicous. Very healthy and wonderful flavors:) I have never heard of kohlrabi. Thanks for the interesting info about it. I will have to see if I can get a hold of some.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm

4. This looks fabulous!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 5, 2010 at 9:47 pm

5. I cooked with Kohlrabi last night too (for the first time). I searched all over the place for recipes and ended up combining my own! I made a kohlrabi leaves and kale pie with a brown rice crust- will hopefully post in the next day or two. For the next time I will definitely try this recipe!

by Lizzy on Jul 6, 2010 at 10:03 am

6. Never heard of this myself but it does look fantastic

by Jennifurla on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

7. I’m definitely trying this recipe! I love curry and I know that I will devour this dish!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:29 pm

8. Love curry…great recipe. Now if only I can make it look like yours! haha

by Ingrid on Jul 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm

9. I have never heard of Kohlrabi. What an interesting recipe. Now I need to see if I can find it around me.

by Eliana on Jul 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm

10. I really enjoyed this dish, I roasted carrots with the kohlrabi and also sautéed the leaves with the onions. Definitely a nice tasty veggie dish.

by Stacie on Jul 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm

11. Just wanted to let you know that i’ve made this recipe twice now (with a little added chicken), and i absolutely love it. Thank you so much!

by Stephanie F on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

12. Just made this for dinner and it was delicious. I did add mushrooms, carrots and a handful of frozen peas and corn. Thanks Tracy for the recipe! Keep on posting!

by Jeng on Sep 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm

13. cooked it the first time… amazing.
    cooked the second time with a twist and still awesome. I used tika massala curry paste instead and also coconut milk.
    Fry the onions (with a bit of garlic) in oil. then add 2 spoons (or whatever your mood tells you) of the curry paste. then add the veges of the list, when a little soft, add the can of coconut milk. mmm delicious!

by Julian on Dec 15, 2015 at 7:19 am