Falafel

A couple months ago, a friend and I were talking about getting together one night to cook Mediterranean cuisine. Since then, I’ve been craving Mediterranean food like nothing else! I’m still planning on our get-together, but in the meantime, I decided to satisfy my craving with some falafel. Since it’s summer though and I’d much rather eat food that’s on the lighter side, I decided to bake the falafel instead of frying it. The taste is different of course, but without all that oil, it’s actually very healthy! Served inside mini multi-grain pitas with lots of vegetables, it has quickly become a favorite lunch of mine. Just store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and warm them up when you’re ready to use them.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain the beans completely, and then place them in your food processor. Pulse a few times just until well-blended, and then spoon them into a medium-sized bowl.

Add the rest of the ingredients (reserving 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs), and mix well.

Form the mixture into small balls (I made about 12), and flatten them slightly. Roll in the remaining breadcrumbs to coat.

Bake for 12 minutes, then flip. Bake 12 minutes longer or until browned and crispy.

Serve in pitas stuffed with vegetables. I used tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and lettuce, but you can use whatever you have on hand.

Add dressing or tahini sauce if desired, or just eat them plain!

Posted by on June 22, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: appetizers, lunch

1. I have never had falafel. From what I hear, I’m really missing out!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

2. I love falafels, too. Haven’t had one in several years and now you’ve got me yearning for one of those gorgeous falafel pitas! I like yogurt with cucumber and more cilantro on top! 😀

by Christine on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:31 am

3. What a great looking and healthy sandwich 🙂

by Eliana on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

4. I have never once has a falafel, did not even know what was in one. I think this will need to be on my list of *new* things (to me) to try.

by Jennifurla on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm

5. I LOVE falafel. This looks amazing.

by Katrina on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:46 am

6. I can’t wait to make this with homemade pita bread!

by Maria on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

7. This really looks incredible…..drool!

by Jenny Flake on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

8. Awesome falafel! It’s making me crave gyros with hummus and fresh pita bread!

by Michelle {Brown Eyed Baker} on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:08 pm

9. I have no idea what it is, but i really want to try some!!!!

by AnimeLvr on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm

10. MMmmmmmm, now I am STARVING!!! I LOVE falafel and haven’t made it in seriously forever. Now you’re going to have me craving it so bad that I’ll be FORCED to try your recipe! 😉

by Fuji Mama on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

11. I love this healthy version of falafel. What a flavorful lunch this would make.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jun 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm

12. Falafels and gyros are the menu items I most often order at Mediterranean places. With some tahini sauce and fresh vegetables …. yum!

by ivoryhut on Jun 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm

13. I wish I had one of these for lunch today! They look so good and tasty!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm

14. Great idea to bake them! I ? falafel! And, shhh…I’ve only made it from a mix! I see yummy, homemade, falafel in my future! Thanks for the recipe!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jul 3, 2010 at 8:56 pm

15. I bookmarked this to come back and make them later when I have veggies and the like on hand. I haven’t had falafel in years and I think about getting it or making it often but never seen to actually do it. Looking forward to this one!

by Debra on May 26, 2011 at 3:06 am