Basic Pasta Salad

We went on a camping trip this past weekend with a few of our friends, and it was a lot of fun. In fact, my body is still recovering today from the challenging hike we did on Saturday. When we got to the halfway point though, we all sat down and had a picnic lunch together. I made this basic pasta salad as a side for our dinner Friday night, but the leftovers were perfect for packing up and bringing along. The cool, crispy vegetables in the salad tasted great on such a hot summer day! And of course, the best part is that you can throw in whatever you like. From broccoli and carrots to bacon and chunks of cheese, start with this basic pasta salad recipe and make it your own!

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and let cool.

Drain the artichokes, then cut them into quarters and toss them into a large bowl. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to the bowl.

Dice the onion and pepper and mince the garlic, and then add them to the bowl.

Quarter the pepperoni slices. Toss all of the ingredients together in the bowl with the Italian dressing. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator. Serve cold.

Posted by on June 15, 2010.

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. Love that you used tricolor pasta – so pretty!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

2. I love the addition of pepperoni! That sure would make the meat-eaters in the crowd happy!

by DessertForTwo on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

3. Looks really yummy, I need to learn how to make this for summer – thanks for posting!

by Jennifurla on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm

4. I love love pasta salad…I don’t know why I only eat it in the summer, though…seems like I should enjoy this all year round!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

5. It was so good!!! You should post about that incredible beef stew 😀

by Sandy on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:51 pm

6. I love pasta salad! I could eat it every day. Yours sounds sooo good. I love the addition of artichoke hearts. Your fellow hikers must have loved you for this:)

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:39 pm

7. I love a good pasta salad. I would love to have some of this for lunch today!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Jun 16, 2010 at 11:05 am

8. Awesome go-to recipe. Thanks for sharing.

by Eliana on Jun 16, 2010 at 11:06 am

9. This looks wonderful! It’s funny… For all of the things that I cook and bake, I always have trouble with potato and pasta salads. I’ll definitely give this recipe a try!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm

10. This look yummy! I just love pasta salad esp. this curly-ribbon sort of pasta..lol! I call i the curly-ribbon cos i don’t know what pasta this is! lol! But now i know cos i see from your recipe it is called rotini? lol! I learnt something today! 😀

by faithy on Jun 17, 2010 at 4:56 am

11. This is such a pretty pasta salad! We are always sure to take a big batch of pasta salad on our camping trip. It is a welcome break from hot dogs and sandwiches.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:05 am

12. We love pasta salad in the summer. Just posted our recipe too:)

by Maria on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:26 am

13. I can’t wait to make this for our next potluck dinner. I can also imagine it making a great cold salad on hot day.

Thank you for sharing the recipe!

by Jill McKeever on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:12 pm

14. I love a good classic pasta salad! This one looks perfect for a summer picnic!

by Fuji Mama on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

15. So useful for summer BBQ’s and cookouts…and a beautiful dish too!

by maggy on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

16. So pretty and colorful! And love how simple it is, too. Great summer recipe!

by ivoryhut on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

17. I made this pasta salad for the 4th of July! And everyone loved it!!!! Thank you for sharing! And for those of you who have not tried it yet, it’s so easy and SO good!!!!

by Karen Silva on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:56 pm