“Bluebarb” Jam

When I saw that this month’s Tigress Can Jam assignment was either rhubarb or asparagus, I had to laugh, since I had just canned rosemary-infused rhubarb jelly for last month’s assignment. I do love rhubarb though, so I decided to find a new and different way to use rhubarb for this month’s challenge. Fortunately for me, after I tweeted about it, Renee came to my rescue with several interesting rhubarb recipes. One of them was this recipe for “bluebarb” jam, which I was totally drooling over, and which comes from the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving. Definitely perfect for spring! Give this one a try (and check out my canning tips if you need any help)!

Place the rhubarb in a large pot with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add in the blueberries, lemon juice, and pectin, and mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add in the sugar, then return to a full boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids.

Remove the rhubarb mixture from heat. You can pour it into the jars  now, or process in your food processor like I did if you want the mixture to be a little smoother. When the jars are ready, fill them with the jam to 1/4″ headspace and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 6 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on May 20, 2010.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: canning

1. I love that picture with the rhubard in the pot – beautiful colors. This just sounds heavenly.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on May 20, 2010 at 9:58 am

2. yum!!

by Nicole Underwood on May 20, 2010 at 10:04 am

3. What beautiful jam – just perfect!

by RJ Flamingo on May 20, 2010 at 10:30 am

4. Love the color of this jam!

by Maria on May 20, 2010 at 10:51 am

5. Oh my. You have taken 2 jam loves to a new level combining them! I am SO making this!!!!

by Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread on May 20, 2010 at 12:03 pm

6. This sounds delicious Tracey. Love the flavor combo.

by Eliana on May 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

7. I would love to slather this on a piece of toast. Yum!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on May 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

8. So pretty! I need some on toast!

by Jenny Flake on May 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm

9. Gorgeous! Ooooh this sounds and looks so super yummy!

by Tiffany on May 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm

10. what a gorgeous color this produces. what’s the flavor profile? does the blueberry overwhelm the rhubarb? i had a problem with that in my rhubarb concoction. great job!

by the cosmic cowgirl on May 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm

11. This combination of flavors sounds wonderful. I have to say I am jealous because I want some right now so I can have some on my toast tomorrow morning. I will have to try it soon!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on May 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm

12. That’s it. This is the year I’m going to start canning. This looks so delicious! I’d love to be able to have homemade jam on my toast for breakfast.

by ivoryhut on May 21, 2010 at 12:39 am

13. This sounds like a wonderful fruit combination. I’d love to try it in a pie or crumble, too.

by Cookin' Canuck on May 21, 2010 at 11:16 am

14. Great combination! This jam looks delicious. Want this on my toast tomorrow morning!

by maggy on May 21, 2010 at 8:52 pm

15. Bluebarb 🙂

by bridget {bake at 350} on May 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm

16. I love this! I bet the combination of blueberry and rhubarb is fantastic!!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on May 24, 2010 at 12:08 pm

17. I firmly believe you can never go wrong with blueberries, and I’m going to try this recipe, thanks!

by Mimi on May 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

18. This jam sounds so yummy. I was tweeting with Gloria (from “The Laundry”) the other day about rhubarb jams and she mentioned a similar recipe to me: rhubarb blueberry and lime jam. I still have (raw-packed) canned blueberries from last year and some fresh rhubarb left, so when I get home from work today, I’ll make this jam!

by ap269 on May 27, 2010 at 3:10 am

19. This was my first try @ any jam ever never and it was good! Since I am such a newbie though @ canning, I was wondering about something. Mine kind of forms a coating on the spoon when I take it out. Almost like a “skin”. Did I do something wrong? It tastes great but I was wondering if you had a similar experience or could tell me what I did??? Thanks for any guidance. Did you enjoy yours?

by Tammy aka psmflowerlady on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:44 am

20. Tammy – So glad you enjoyed it! I love it too. Do you mean that the jam formed a coating on your spoon while you were cooking it? It just sounds like your jam is beginning to set from the pectin.

by Tracy on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:49 am

21. The Cosmic Cowgirl – I thought the flavor combination was perfect! But, you can always use more rhubarb and less blueberry if you prefer a stronger rhubarb taste. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:50 am

22. Well yes, when I was cooking it – but it still does it like when I get it out to put in my yogurt – it’s not as bad, but still sticky like.

by Tammy on Jun 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm

23. I made a lower sugar version of this yesterday and I thought I died and went to heaven. Instead of water I cooked the rhubarb in a 12 oz can of frozen apple juice. I only needed to add about 1/2 cup of splenda and the special low-sugar surejel. It was marvelous. I went out and picked more rhubarb this morning and am making another batch to give as gifts.

by Tennessee Tess on Jul 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

24. Tennessee Tess – It sounds delicious! However, please note that sugar is an important preservative in water bath canning, and since you did not use the sugar in the recipe, the jam you made will definitely have a shorter shelf life than traditionally sweetened preserves. Fruit juice sweetened jams last about six months before the begin to discolor or mold, so please make sure to label them appropriately!

by Tracy on Jul 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

25. OMG. Just made a double batch. Used wild MN blueberries I picked and rhubarb from tue garden. It’s AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

by Sarah on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:51 pm

26. How many 8 oz jars will this make?

by Tiffany on Jun 17, 2015 at 12:18 pm