“Bluebarb” Jam

When I saw that this month’s Tigress Can Jam assignment was either rhubarb or asparagus, I had to laugh, since I had just canned rosemary-infused rhubarb jelly for last month’s assignment. I do love rhubarb though, so I decided to find a new and different way to use rhubarb for this month’s challenge. Fortunately for me, after I tweeted about it, Renee came to my rescue with several interesting rhubarb recipes. One of them was this recipe for “bluebarb” jam, which I was totally drooling over, and which comes from the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving. Definitely perfect for spring! Give this one a try (and check out my canning tips if you need any help)!

• 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 1/4 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 package (1.75 oz) powdered pectin
  • 5 1/2 cups sugar

Place the rhubarb in a large pot with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add in the blueberries, lemon juice, and pectin, and mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add in the sugar, then return to a full boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids.

Remove the rhubarb mixture from heat. You can pour it into the jars  now, or process in your food processor like I did if you want the mixture to be a little smoother. When the jars are ready, fill them with the jam to 1/4″ headspace and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 6 eight-ounce jars.

25 Responses to ““Bluebarb” Jam”

1. 1 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 9:58 am

I love that picture with the rhubard in the pot – beautiful colors. This just sounds heavenly.

2. 2 Nicole Underwood Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 10:04 am

yum!!

3. 3 RJ Flamingo Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 10:30 am

What beautiful jam – just perfect!

4. 4 Maria Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 10:51 am

Love the color of this jam!

5. 5 Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Oh my. You have taken 2 jam loves to a new level combining them! I am SO making this!!!!

6. 6 Eliana Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 12:18 pm

This sounds delicious Tracey. Love the flavor combo.

7. 7 Jen @ How To: Simplify Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I would love to slather this on a piece of toast. Yum!

8. 8 Jenny Flake Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

So pretty! I need some on toast!

9. 9 Tiffany Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Gorgeous! Ooooh this sounds and looks so super yummy!

10. 10 the cosmic cowgirl Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

what a gorgeous color this produces. what’s the flavor profile? does the blueberry overwhelm the rhubarb? i had a problem with that in my rhubarb concoction. great job!

11. 11 Raina @ The Garden of Yum Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

This combination of flavors sounds wonderful. I have to say I am jealous because I want some right now so I can have some on my toast tomorrow morning. I will have to try it soon!

12. 12 ivoryhut Says:
    May 21st, 2010 at 12:39 am

That’s it. This is the year I’m going to start canning. This looks so delicious! I’d love to be able to have homemade jam on my toast for breakfast.

13. 13 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    May 21st, 2010 at 11:16 am

This sounds like a wonderful fruit combination. I’d love to try it in a pie or crumble, too.

14. 14 maggy Says:
    May 21st, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Great combination! This jam looks delicious. Want this on my toast tomorrow morning!

15. 15 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    May 22nd, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Bluebarb :)

16. 16 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I love this! I bet the combination of blueberry and rhubarb is fantastic!!

17. 17 Mimi Says:
    May 26th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I firmly believe you can never go wrong with blueberries, and I’m going to try this recipe, thanks!

18. 18 ap269 Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 3:10 am

This jam sounds so yummy. I was tweeting with Gloria (from “The Laundry”) the other day about rhubarb jams and she mentioned a similar recipe to me: rhubarb blueberry and lime jam. I still have (raw-packed) canned blueberries from last year and some fresh rhubarb left, so when I get home from work today, I’ll make this jam!

19. 19 Tammy aka psmflowerlady Says:
    June 11th, 2010 at 10:44 am

This was my first try @ any jam ever never and it was good! Since I am such a newbie though @ canning, I was wondering about something. Mine kind of forms a coating on the spoon when I take it out. Almost like a “skin”. Did I do something wrong? It tastes great but I was wondering if you had a similar experience or could tell me what I did??? Thanks for any guidance. Did you enjoy yours?

20. 20 Tracy Says:
    June 11th, 2010 at 10:49 am

Tammy – So glad you enjoyed it! I love it too. Do you mean that the jam formed a coating on your spoon while you were cooking it? It just sounds like your jam is beginning to set from the pectin.

21. 21 Tracy Says:
    June 11th, 2010 at 10:50 am

The Cosmic Cowgirl – I thought the flavor combination was perfect! But, you can always use more rhubarb and less blueberry if you prefer a stronger rhubarb taste. Enjoy!

22. 22 Tammy Says:
    June 12th, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Well yes, when I was cooking it – but it still does it like when I get it out to put in my yogurt – it’s not as bad, but still sticky like.

23. 23 Tennessee Tess Says:
    July 21st, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I made a lower sugar version of this yesterday and I thought I died and went to heaven. Instead of water I cooked the rhubarb in a 12 oz can of frozen apple juice. I only needed to add about 1/2 cup of splenda and the special low-sugar surejel. It was marvelous. I went out and picked more rhubarb this morning and am making another batch to give as gifts.

24. 24 Tracy Says:
    July 22nd, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Tennessee Tess – It sounds delicious! However, please note that sugar is an important preservative in water bath canning, and since you did not use the sugar in the recipe, the jam you made will definitely have a shorter shelf life than traditionally sweetened preserves. Fruit juice sweetened jams last about six months before the begin to discolor or mold, so please make sure to label them appropriately!

25. 25 Sarah Says:
    September 17th, 2013 at 4:51 pm

OMG. Just made a double batch. Used wild MN blueberries I picked and rhubarb from tue garden. It’s AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!