Rhubarb Pâte de Fruit

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a little bit obsessed with rhubarb. Aside from its wonderful tartness and the fact that I can bake with it as though it’s a fruit even though it’s a vegetable, I love it because it means spring is here in full force.  I’ve come to realize that I also like it because it’s pink…turns out after years of hating the color pink, it is now my favorite color – who would have thought? Anyway, it’s hard to resist these delicate little pink confections. Though you have to wait a while for them to set, the prep time is fairly short. All you need is a candy thermometer to whip them up in no time at all!

Line an 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper. Purée the rhubarb, and then strain the juices through a mesh sieve and into a sauce pan. I just used my hands to press down on the puréed rhubarb to squeeze all of the juice out.

Heat the rhubarb and lemon juices, as well as 1/2 cup of the sugar, in a sauce pan over medium heat until the mixture reaches 113 degrees. Then, add in the remaining sugar. Once the mixture reaches 238 degrees, pour in the pectin. Continue to boil and stir for 1-2 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat, and then immediately pour the hot mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar and let set for 2 hours.

When set, carefully lift the confection out of the pan. Cut into 1″ squares (or use cookie cutters to shape) and roll them in sugar until they are well-coated. Store in an airtight container.

Posted by on May 6, 2010.

Tags:

1. I have made anything like this – amazing! I love the heart ones. 🙂

by Jessica @ How Sweet on May 6, 2010 at 9:05 am

2. SO COOL!!!

by Maria on May 6, 2010 at 9:21 am

3. This is the best rhubarb recipe I’ve seen all year! Did you see the rhubarb orange pie recipe on Simply Recipes today? You might like it too 🙂

by DessertForTwo on May 6, 2010 at 9:39 am

4. Tracy, you are so creative! I love this recipe idea, and you know part of my love of rhubarb is the color, too! I gravitate to those beautiful red-pink-and green stalks. Which is why I even grow it in my garden! 😀

by Christine on May 6, 2010 at 10:04 am

5. These are so beautiful looking. They must be delicious. Very impressive! Can you believe I have never tried rhubarb? I feel like sometimes I have lived in a box.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on May 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

6. These are the cutest little things ever!! Love it!

by Jenny Flake on May 6, 2010 at 10:10 am

7. Those are adorable, love they pics. Great idea.

by Jennifurla on May 6, 2010 at 10:57 am

8. This looks awesome! I love pate de fruit, but I have to admit that my last experimentation with it was a DISASTER! Oy. I’m going to have to try your recipe!

by Fuji Mama on May 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm

9. Another gorgeous Rhubarb recipe! These are adorable. I know I’d love these because I love anything tart!

by LilSis on May 6, 2010 at 1:22 pm

10. LOVE this! I love jelly fruit candies, I need to try it myself. These are gorgeous!

by Michelle {Brown Eyed Baker} on May 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm

11. How fun! I’m a little embarrassed; I’ve never ever eaten rhubarb. I’m afraid. Last year I tried figs for the first time (other than fig newtons) and they gave me the heebie-jeebies.

These are so so adorable, though. I’m going to have to get over it!

by bridget {bake at 350} on May 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm

12. Those are so cute and pretty!

What a great recipe! 🙂

by A Bowl Of Mush on May 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

13. These are so cute! LOVE THEM.

by maggy on May 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

14. I love rhubarb too! We had it growing in our yard when I was a child and my favorite thing was to have a stalk of rhubarb and dip it in a bowl of sugar. So good! I’ve always wanted to make candy but I find it very intimidating plus I need to buy a candy thermometer.

by Janna M on May 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm

15. Wondering why you didn’t bring these with you on wednesday! 🙂

by Jenn P on May 6, 2010 at 8:58 pm

16. You make pate de fruits sound so easy! I’ve always been afraid to make it, but this sounds totally do-able. And I adore rhubarb… I’m going to have to give this a shot. Thank you!

by Katie @ Cozydelicious on May 6, 2010 at 9:05 pm

17. These look absolutely amazing! I adore rhubarb and pate de fruits so these look like my idea of perfection. I may have to make a batch over the weekend.

I agree with you about the lovely pink of rhubarb. We have been drinking rhubarb “pink” lemonade all week here and the color is the most delightful part.

by Shoshana on May 6, 2010 at 9:21 pm

18. Ohh… I am obsessed with rhubarb, too. LOVE this! I have to make some.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 6, 2010 at 11:02 pm

19. Any idea how you could add strawberries to this and make a strawberry rhubarb pate de fruit?

by Rebecca on May 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

20. From one rhubarb lover to another–these look AMAZING! In fact, I wish I wasn’t in FL right now (and without a kitchen) so I could try them right now!

by Beth @ 990 Square on May 7, 2010 at 10:52 am

21. This is so pretty! What a neat recipe.

by Laura Flowers on May 7, 2010 at 12:41 pm

22. I absolutely love this idea! My husband and kids would go crazy over these.

by Cookin' Canuck on May 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm

23. these are super cute and dainty. my grandpa used to have rhubarb, growing in his backyard. it brings back so many sweet memories.

by Tiffany on May 8, 2010 at 10:11 am

24. these are just wonderful Tracy!! I’m so inspired by to make these now! Maybe in other flavors cos i can’t get rhubarb. 🙂

by faithy on May 9, 2010 at 6:34 am

25. These look amazing!!! Cannot wait to try them ……… my FIL LOVES rhubarb so it could very well score me some daughter in law points!!!!

by Sue Ann on May 9, 2010 at 7:10 am

26. One quick question since I am making these this afternoon. Any idea how long they will keep?

by Shoshana on May 9, 2010 at 3:11 pm

27. Yummy! We just bought a new place, and have a huge rhubarb plant in the backyard! I can’t wait! Delicious! I’m making these babies for sure!

by Kitty on May 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm

28. The heart ones are super cute! I love pink! Wish I had some of these.. But no rhubarb in India 🙁

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on May 11, 2010 at 10:09 am

29. I really want to try to make some Pate de Fruit…I love them. These look so pretty, I could eat them off of my screen! 😉

by GrapeSugar on May 11, 2010 at 1:35 pm

30. Awesome! I want to try this!!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on May 12, 2010 at 8:33 am

31. Rebecca – I’d just go half and half with the fruit juice, so do 3/8 cup strawberry juice and then 3/8 cup rhubarb juice. Or, you can double the recipe and do the other 3/4 cup juice as strawberry juice.

Shoshana – I stored mine in the fridge, and they lasted about a week before they were all eaten. 🙂

by Tracy on May 13, 2010 at 9:13 am

32. These are so cute! I love all of your rhubarb recipes!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on May 13, 2010 at 11:54 am

33. I made these this morning and they have the most *amazing* flavour! You get the taste of rhubarb without the puckering tartness — fantastic. I’ll definitely make these again. Thanks for sharing 🙂

by Avalee on May 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm

34. I tried these; took some to work and sent some to my in-laws. Loved by everyone! I cut mine into small circle shapes (took the middle part out of the donut/biscuit cutter). Thanks for the great recipe.
    Also, wondering if a person could make the juice and freeze it for later.

by Cindy Kuipers on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm

35. Cindy – I’m so glad everyone enjoyed them! I’ve never tried freezing the juice before, but I’m sure it would work just fine. Let me know how it turns out!

by Tracy on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:00 am

36. Holy cow, how did I miss these last month? I just found them via Tasty Kitchen. And now I am obsessed with making them.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm