Chana Masala

Since I already posted about naan this week, I figured I’d take the opportunity to share something that you can serve along with it. When a good friend and I were planning a big Indian food night a few months ago (my first time cooking Indian), she sent along this recipe that she got from an Indian friend of hers who is from the city Pune, which is very close to Mumbai. Out of all the dishes we made, this one is my absolute favorite. It’s supposed to be served as a side dish, but hubby and I eat it as an entrée with our naan because of how perfectly filling it is. It’s not at all hard to make, either – even if you’ve never had Indian before, give it a try!

In a medium sauce pan, heat 3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil. Once heated, sprinkle on the mustard and cumin seeds. They will sputter if the oil was hot enough. Chop up the onion, tomato, and garlic.

Once the sputtering has stopped, add in the asafoetida (or garlic) and tumeric powder. Drop in the onion and tomato and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add in the salt.

Add in the chick peas and water, and stir until well-combined. Let boil until the water cooks down and the chick peas have picked up the flavor of the spices.

Garnish with coriander if desired, and serve with naan.

Posted by on April 29, 2010.

Categories: dinner

1. The only Indian-type food I have had is naan! I am so deprived.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

2. Yum! I LOVE Indian food. I’ve found that if someone likes Mexican food, they will often enjoy Indian food because of the similarities (cilantro, coriander, cumin, etc.). Thanks for sharing! 🙂

by DessertForTwo on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

3. ooooo, this looks fantastic, I really love Indian flavors 🙂

by Jenny Flake on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

4. Cumin, Mustard Seed and Tumeric…sounds like a pickling recipe and I bet it was delicious too!

by Michelle on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:31 am

5. This is my kind of meal. I absolutely adore Indian spices and we are lucky to have several Indian stores here to find fresh (and cheap!) spices.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

6. I love the spices in this dish. I haven’t experienced much Indian food, but this looks great!

by LilSis on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

7. Sound really delicious. I have never tried this either. Thanks for the introduction to some interesting foods. I will have to give it a try.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm

8. Looks different and delicious at the same time!

by Denise@TogetherWeSave on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

9. One of my favorite types of food is Indian food but I’ve never tried to make it. What a tragedy! I’ve always been a little nervous because of all the spices and such. I love this recipe, though. It looks so tasty and easy!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm

10. I love chana masala, but have never made it! Yours looks so good that I think I need to try. Thanks for the motivation!

by Fuji Mama on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm

11. I love channa masala, too. The recipe I use calls for a lot more tomato and a lot more spice! 😉 And I douse every Indian dish with a sprinkling of cilantro. I love the taste of the heat of the dish combined with the cool of the cilantro. Now you have me in a serious mood for Indian food!!!

by Christine on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

12. This does indeed sound delicious! I’ve just begun to cook Indian food and I’m over the moon about it!

by Kathleen on May 2, 2010 at 9:41 pm

13. I LOVE Indian food. We thought we were going to get an Indian restaurant here in town, but it apparently fell through. *sob* I’ll have to make this to satisfy my cravings!

by Small Town Runner on May 5, 2010 at 5:07 pm