Naan

Indian food, like Chinese and Thai, has always been something I’ve had to avoid due to my peanut allergy. (I’ve had more than one experience with “allergy safe” Chinese restaurants that didn’t turn out so well.) I often cook Chinese dishes at home though, and this past year I’ve cooked several Indian dishes at home as well. I’ve grown to love naan in particular, and now I simply have to make it as anย accompanimentย to any Indian dish I make. I love this recipe because it’s simple and perfect for just a few people, but you can always double it if you need to.

Pour the water into a medium bowl, and then pour the yeast and sugar over the water. Wait for the yeast and sugar to dissolve.

Stir in the flour, salt, and then the melted butter and yogurt. Mix until a sticky dough is formed.

Cover the bowl and let the dough rise 60-90 minutes.

When the dough is finished rising, punch it down and then lightly knead it for a few minutes. The dough will be very sticky, so you’ll need to add flour to it as you knead. When you’ve reached a smooth consistency, divide the dough into balls and then roll them out on a floured surface. Place a few pieces at a time into a heated sauce pan coated in vegetable oil.

Fry until each side is golden brown. (This batch of naan was a little thicker than I usually like, but still delicious of course!) Serve warm.

Posted by on April 27, 2010.

Categories: breads & pastries

1. Um, this is the BEST naan I have ever seen on a blog. It looks fabulous. I just had naan for the first time a few months ago. Love it! My thighs…not so much.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:20 am

2. I didn’t know you had a peanut allergy. My niece is allergic to walnuts but stays away from all nuts just to be safe. After her allergy was discovered and I had to start watching my cooking and baking…wow I surprised at how much I use nuts!

by Michelle on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

3. I have never had Naan ! Man, oh man. I am going to make Naan. Sorry to much coffee today ๐Ÿ™‚ These looks fantastic, I can’t wait to give them a try.

by Tickled Red on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:00 am

4. Wish I would’ve seen this post on Saturday, when I was cooking up some murgh makhani (butter chicken)! Looks delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

by Dorothy on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:21 am

5. I love naan but I’ve never made it. I’ll have to give it a try using your recipe!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

6. I’ve never tried Naan but I want to now! You make this look easy; I need to get over my fear of yeast! I wish I had some of these for breakfast!

by LilSis on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:55 am

7. oh wow! I didn’t know that naan was fried…sounds good to me ๐Ÿ™‚

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm

8. Mmm nom indeed – looks fantastic! Nice work!

by Sandy on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm

9. mmm… your naan looks delicious! i love garlic naan with mint chutney. now you have me craving indian food!

by Rebecca on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm

10. This looks delicious! I’ve never tried to pan-fry it! It reminds me of English muffins, how they’re cooked on the stove-top. Sorry about your peanut allergy, bummer. Have a good day! ๐Ÿ™‚

by DessertForTwo on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm

11. Hello from a fellow baker down south! I found your blog through Tasty Kitchen and it is delicious. I’ve always wanted to make some flatbread…maybe I’ll try to make a whole-grain version of Naan?
    If you’re still looking for sourdough starter – I just posted a how-to on making it yourself! Then you can keep the nuts away from it! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks for a great blog and all the yummy recipes!

by Lena on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm

12. nom nom nom nom naan……they look good….what are they? like, pancake things?

by Laura on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm

13. I’ve never made this bread at home, but I love it. Can’t wait to test it out!

by Maria on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm

14. Oh my goodness I want to make this!

by Jenny Flake on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:09 pm

15. I love Naan too and also Indian food. Your naan looks thick and fluffy.

by tigerfish on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm

16. Wow. Looks amazing. I made some yogurt flatbread recently but it did not look nearly as amazing as this! Great job and I can’t wait to try.

by Dana on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:21 pm

17. I love naan too! I’ve seen the indian stalls at our foodcourt make naan and they don’t fry them..they put them on the side of the hot deep pot oven (dunno what’s that called) so it actually doesn’t feel or taste oily and goes really well with curry! Yums! ๐Ÿ˜€

by faithy on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:30 am

18. I am a huge fan of naan…these look, warm, soft and tasty. YUM!

by Maggy on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

19. Your naan is beautiful – much more enticing than versions I’ve seen in many restaurants. I’m excited to try this at home.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm

20. Yum this looks so good!!! I love indian food, especially when its homemade…… i want to try this!!

by jaclyn@todayslady on Apr 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm

21. Yumm!

I happen to live within 20 minutes of a “Little India” in NJ, so buying authentic fresh naan is so convenient for me, not to mention the frozen ones from Trader Joe’s are really very good, too. But homemade? That’s impressive!

by Christine on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm

22. Ooooh, I am a naan adict! This recipe looks phenomenal–better than the recipes I’ve tried recently!!

by Fuji Mama on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm

23. Looks very delicious. I have never tried it. Maybe I will now.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:45 pm

24. This looks thicker than any naan I have ever had at Indian restaurants, but still tasty, I am sure! With chana masala, one of my faves, it must be some great dinner!

by Jelli on Apr 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

25. I know I tweeted about these yesterday, but I just had to come back and look at them again today. ๐Ÿ˜‰

by bridget {bake at 350} on Apr 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm

26. YUM! they look delicious!

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on May 5, 2010 at 2:01 am

27. Brilliant! We always buy our naan at an international foods market that’s more than an hour’s drive away… which of course means we don’t have naan too often. I had no idea how to make it. You’ve saved the day! Thank you so much for the recipe.

by Small Town Runner on May 5, 2010 at 5:10 pm

28. I made this tonight on my pizza stone (cooked it at 500 for about 5 minutes) and it was amazing.

by Janssen on Jun 21, 2010 at 8:11 pm

29. This reminds me of a Korean dish I grew up with (minus the yogurt & butter) called hodduk. It’s pretty much the same thing except you usually stuff hodduk with something like brown sugar, cinnamon & crushed nuts or what ever you like (can be sweet and savory, plus!!). It’s delicious, so I’m sure this is a winner as well!

by Misa on Jul 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm