Rosemary-Infused Rhubarb Jelly

At first when I saw that the Tigress’ Can Jam for this month was herbs, I was perplexed. I was imagining herbs by themselves in a jar, and I was wondering what I would ever do with them. However, I opened up one of my canning books and was leafing through it when I came upon a recipe for rhubarb-mint jelly. I knew I just had to make the rhubarb jelly, but I’m not a big fan of mint. So, instead of mint, I chose rosemary. What I ended up with is a perfectly tart jelly just bursting with spring flavor!

Place the rhubarb in a medium sauce pan with enough water to cover all of the pieces.

Cook over medium heat until the rhubarb breaks down. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Pour the stewed fruit and juices into a fine mesh sieve. While you are extracting the juices, add in the rosemary. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids.

Pour the strained juice into a medium sauce pan, and add in the sugar. In a separate, smaller sauce pan, pour in the cold water and stir in the pectin. Boil 2 minutes, and then pour the pectin mixture into the rhubarb juices. Boil for a couple minutes longer. (You can also add the pectin directly into the rhubarb juices, but I was trying to get more out of the recipe, which is why I added the water).

When the jars are ready, fill them with the jelly to 1/4″ headspace and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 5 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 3 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on April 20, 2010.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: canning

1. Mmm this sounds so good – I love the shot with rosemary and the juices 😀

by Sandy on Apr 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

2. Ahhhhh….a delicious sounding jelly!

by Michelle on Apr 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

3. Gorgeous jelly! Wishing I had some this morning on my toast!!

by Jenny Flake on Apr 20, 2010 at 9:48 am

4. That is such a gorgeous color! And it sounds fabulous!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 20, 2010 at 9:59 am

5. I absolutely love the beautiful color of the jelly! I really like the idea of the rosemary flavor with the rhubarb, very different. My Mom still grows rhubarb, it’s really easy, you don’t even have to do anything really, it grows like mad. So we often have an abundance of it after making Strawberry Rhubarb everything, so this is a great idea! thanks 🙂

by GrapeSugar on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:28 am

6. Jelly looks very nice. I have never cooked with Rhubarb and I have been married 40 years and catering 20. — This would be wonderful with some freshly baked scones.

by Rosemaryandthegoat on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:44 am

7. Oh yum! That looks and sounds just wonderful.

by Christine on Apr 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

8. Here you go again with another rhubarb recipe…keep them coming! I’m loving them especially since I’m a huge fan of rhubarb now! Rosemary is my absolute favorite herb. I would love to have some of this!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

9. Nice looking jelly! And the flavors sound fabulous. This is a jelly that can go both ways–savory and sweet. (Is it dorky of me to point out that your head space is a little low on the middle jar? Maybe that’s your “fridge jar”)

by Julia on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

10. Hey, found you through the Can Jam, and I gotta say, I really like this idea! I did a strawberry rhubarb rosemary jam, but never thought to do rhubarb on it’s own. Looks delicious!

by leena! on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

11. Your rhubarb recipes are the best! Congrats on the Tasty Kitchen spotlight too:)

by Maria on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

12. Ciao, first time here, lovely blog, I will be back!

PS
    I love your jelly!

by Alessandra on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

13. I just had rhubarb in my CSA box and rosemary is available in my backyard. I am so going to make this! How many rhubarb stalks did you use to get 5 cups?

by ap269 on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

14. ap269 – I only needed 3, but they were very large stalks. 🙂

by Tracy on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm

15. Rhubarb and rosemary sound like a wonderful combination! I can think of so many uses for this pretty jelly.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm

16. What a glorious colour and I too love the picture of the rosemary infusing the rhubarb liquid. At this moment my canjam rhubarb concoction is dripping through muslin tied to an upturned stool and looks an amazing colour. I want to wear it as lipstick!

by Gloria on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm

17. Looks so good. There is nothing like homemade jelly. Yum..on some toast!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Apr 20, 2010 at 7:44 pm

18. This looks SO good. I don’t think the rhubarb I planted last year will be robust enough to harvest this year, but I will still have to go get some at the farmers’ market to try this recipe out!

by Sar on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

19. Rosemary and rhubarb sound a fabulous combination. I am in awe of people who manage to preserve stuff in jars.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:10 am

20. I love rhubarb. I love rosemary. I think this might just put me in heaven.

by Small Town Runner on May 5, 2010 at 5:11 pm

21. i don’t know how i missed this during april’s can jam–what a gorgeous color! in the pate’ de fruit also. must try again. cheers!

by the cosmic cowgirl on May 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm

22. Looks fantastic! About how many cups of juice did you end up with?

by Missy on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm

23. Missy – I don’t think I measured out the juice exactly, just the cups of chopped rhubarb…but I believe it was around 2 and 1/2 cups. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:29 pm

24. This looks so pretty… There’s an easier way to get rhubarb juice though…. Freeze it. Chop it up and stick it in a big zip lock type freezer bag, and when you are ready to make jelly dump the whole thing in a colander with a bowl under it. I have such a glut of rhubarb I don’t bother squeezing it out, (the rest just goes to the chickens!) and I get perfectly clear pink juice. extra juice is actually good to drink, if you put a tiny bit in water… its like lemonade.

by Nadine on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm

25. Nadine – that is a great tip; thanks for sharing! 🙂

by Tracy on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

26. This is awesome! I made this, then was inspired to do the same with star anise instead of rosemary. Both are wonderful!

by Janet on May 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm