Guacamole

Up until this year, I had never actually tried guacamole. Weird, right? It had always been one of those sides at Mexican restaurants, along with the mini tub of sour cream they give you, that I simply avoided. It wasn’t until the Super Bowl this year that I finally tried it, having decided to make my own to bring to the Super Bowl party hosted by one of our friends. And I have to say, one bite and I was done for. How could I have been missing out on this goodness in my life? Not only is it delicious, but it’s a quick appetizer to whip together, especially for sporting events. You can easily double the recipe if you need to feed a crowd!

Cut the avacados in half (you can use any type).

Now, remove the seed. Make sure to get all of the seed skin out.

Scoop out the avocado flesh and put into a medium bowl.

Mash the avocado. You don’t have to go crazy; just mash enough to get smaller chunks. If you like it creamier, you can throw it in your food processor and pulse a few times until it reaches the desired consistency.

Add in the onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.

Posted by on April 8, 2010.

Categories: appetizers

1. Love me some good guac! Yum!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:30 am

2. Oh wow. Its so beautiful and green and fresh looking. *Applause

by Sarah on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

3. mmm guac! one of my faves! I love that you didn’t put tomatoes in yours… its not real guac to me when there are tomatoes! 🙂 I make mine much like you! Delish!

by ashley on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

4. I love Guacamole. It is so good and no matter how much I make, it’s gone very quickly!

by Michelle on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:46 am

5. One of my favorite snacks!

by Maria on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:07 am

6. Oooh! Yummy! I love guacamole. I am going to buy an avacados today to make this great-looking recipe! My hubbie and son will be very happy! Thanks!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:23 am

7. Looks delicious! So bright, fresh, and green! I could use some more of that in my diet…lately it’s been dull and carb-heavy.

by Dorothy on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:15 am

8. Perhaps my favorite thing to eat in the world! YUM! Looks delicious.

by maggy on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:21 am

9. I really like Chipotle’s guacamole. It has big chunks of red onion, and I like that bite and tang.

Shhh: sometimes I go to Chipotle and order chips and guacamole for lunch. It’s my dirty little secret since it’s such a huge nutrition fail.

by Carter @ The Kitchenette on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

10. You’ve got the avocado, lime, cilantro, and jalapeno – sounds like the perfect guacamole to me.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

11. So glad you LOL’d Tracy! Laughing at work is a necessity for me haha.

The corned beef brisket – I hate mushy foods, so I would die with overcooked sauerkraut, too. Ummmm maybe some carrots and/or parsnips? Even a rutabaga or two would be good for me. Or, you could go completely hardcore/insane and just cook the brisket alone with some onions, and serve with a crunchy cabbage slaw on the side. You know, for that authentic corned-beef-and-cabbage, but with a twist?

xo can’t wait to see what you come up with!

by Carter @ The Kitchenette on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:54 pm

12. Carter – Thanks, those are all great suggestions! I’ll be sure to keep you posted. 🙂

by Tracy on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

13. I love guacamole, too! 😀

by Christine on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm

14. This recipe is so simple and looks so delicious!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm

15. mmmmmm my favorite! you can also mash in defrosted peas to make the guac go a little farther.

by Amy O'Kane on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm

16. Oh man…a lifetime without guacamole?? Sounds like you have some making up to do 😉 Looks delicious!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm

17. Once you go guac, you never go back! 🙂

by Crystal on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm

18. Haha, I was the same way, mostly because I thought guacamole had mayo in it, which I detest. What a dumb assumption. Now, I adore guac and avocados! That looks wonderful.

by Heather I. on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm

19. I am SO GLAD that you finally took the plunge! Guacamole is one of my all-time favorite things! Yours looks fabulous!

by Fuji Mama on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:32 pm

20. I have never tried quacamole (dip) yet either, it’s a texture thing for me although I do use avocado in a fantastic salad from “That’s Trump” cookbook “Committee Salad” The salad is delicious. Maybe one day I’ll try your recipe.

by Paula on Apr 9, 2010 at 8:40 am

21. I was the same way – pretty much everything I eat now I never would have even tried 10 years ago – and now spinach, spaghetti squash and avocados are staples!

Except I would leave out the onions! 😀

by Biz on Apr 9, 2010 at 12:20 pm

22. If I had to pick my favorite food in the world, I think it would be guacamole. This looks amazing.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:39 pm

23. I never liked guacamole, so I assumed I hated avocados- then I realized it was just the tomatoes I didn’t like in it- avocados are so good!!

by Heather @ Side of Sneakers on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:58 pm

24. GUACA-GUACA-GUACA-GUACA GUACAMOLE!!!!!!!

by Laura on Apr 11, 2010 at 5:29 pm

25. As a native Southern Californian, I can say that tomatoes NEVER belong in guacamole. Yuck. I am so thrilled that you did your guac right!

And Carter, one of my favorite “bad” lunches is flour tortillas heated over a gas flame, and then smeared with a little salted butter and a big healthy plop of guacamole. They’re, like, fat bomb burritos…but OHsogood. 🙂

by Sarah on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:48 am

26. Guacamole is my FAVORITE! We have some neighbors who were missionaries in Mexico for 14 years, and she makes the BEST guacamole — it’s spicy. Oh, it’s soooooo good!

by Small Town Runner on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm

27. WHAT!!! I act shocked, but then again I don’t have enough fingers to count the many things I’ve been missing out on… sigh…

by Kitty on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm