Blueberry Muffins

Last weekend, I was craving some good old fashioned blueberry muffins for breakfast. I couldn’t believe how expensive blueberries were at the grocery store, but I bought them anyway. I’m just in that funk I guess, where I’m tired of winter dishes but the fresh summer fruits and vegetables I’m craving aren’t quite here yet. I have big plans to start shopping at the farmer’s market in a couple weeks though, where I can stock up on local, fresh produce that’s incredibly cheap compared to the grocery store. For now though, I’ll savor every bite of these blueberries!

Topping:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan with cooking spray. Whisk together the butter, milk, egg, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until well-combined.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, sugar, and salt.

Add in the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in the blueberries.

Pour the batter into the muffin pan. To make the topping, blend the butter into the flour using a pastry blender until crumbly; then add in the sugar.  Sprinkle evenly over the batter.

Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Serve warm.

Posted by on April 6, 2010.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. I love a warm blueberry muffin slathered with butter. Drool.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:52 am

2. Oh WOW! This is just what I needed in my life. I love the crumbly bit on top.

by Maggy on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:52 am

3. These muffins look PERFECT!

by Maria on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:55 am

4. Just having my first cup of coffee of the day and I sure would like one of your muffins right now!

by Michelle on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:32 am

5. These muffins look to die for!

by Richard on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:55 am

6. Lovely looking muffins, they’re grabbing me more than cupcakes lately.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Apr 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

7. Blueberry muffins are one of my favorite types of muffins. These look delicious!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 6, 2010 at 10:56 am

8. bookmarking this one. they look awesome!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

9. You have me at crumble top, LOVE

by Jennifurla on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:19 pm

10. I adore blueberry muffins. Blueberries are my absolute favorite food on earth, and just so happen to only be available here in the frozen state and beyond my price range. Utter sadness. Nevertheless, these muffins look divine, and oh, how I´d love to have breakfasted with you today!

by Jelli on Apr 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm

11. The tops of these muffins looks so pretty. These sound like summer!

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

12. Blueberry muffins are pretty good..
    Well im a blue berry muffin…
    You are?
    Well come on, eat me!

by Laura on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm

13. I love blueberry muffins! Those look great. I have been looking for a good recipe for them. Thanks!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:10 pm

14. Thanks for sharing a great and very easy recipe. I made them as soon as I saw your post. The didn’t last long. In fact, I don’t think any of my baking has ever moved so fast. The whole dozen was gone in less than an hour! Wish I had one now for my morning coffee!

by Carla on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm

15. Blueberry muffins are THE favorite around here. Come to think of it, blueberry “anything” is a favorite. LOL.

Tracy, I just started a pretty strict calorie counting diet, so it looks like we can’t be friends anymore. Ah, I’m kidding!! We can still be friends. I’ll just devour calories virtually when I’m here. 😉

by Christine on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:47 pm

16. I love blueberry muffins! Great idea with the addition of nutmeg 🙂

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

17. Yum! I have been craving some sort of baked breakfast items lately… But, I haven’t been able to decide what to make. Now I’m thinking I might have to make blueberry muffins!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 9, 2010 at 8:50 am

18. You had me at blueberry!! These look divine!

by Amanda on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:26 am

19. Oh, I love a good muffin….and these look BEYOND good! The topping makes them so pretty, like they just stepped out of a fancy bakery case!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:39 am

20. Those turned out just PERFECT! I loved them!

by Mary on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:36 am

21. Tried out this recipe today and my mom loved them! thanks for sharing an amazing recipe! 🙂

by Jacqueline Tang on Aug 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

22. I made these muffins with high hopes because your recipes are always so good! I think the crumb topping proportions are off? I thought it was a bit much flour when I was making it but did it anyway trusting that it would work out. The flour on the muffins weighed the muffins down so much that they didn’t rise. I had perfect blueberry muffins with tons of uncooked flour on top. Gross. What happened?

by Mikelle Hembree on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

23. Mikelle – I’m sorry the topping didn’t turn out for you! Without seeing them come out of the oven, it’s hard to tell you exactly what went wrong – but if it seems to you like there was too much flour on top, you can do one of two things: either reduce the flour by half, or double the amount of butter, and tweak it from there. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm