Rhubarb Crumble

Over the weekend, I was looking for something to do with the rhubarb I had left over from when I made rhubarb tian for the Daring Baker challenge. I was thinking about pie; they’re normally easy for me to whip up, since I usually make several pie crusts at once and freeze them so that I always have homemade pie crust on hand. However, all out of pie crusts and not in the mood to make more, I decided on the next best thing – a crumble. It was quick and easy, and just as satisfying as a slice of rhubarb pie. Try it this weekend for your Easter guests!

For the filling:

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together the filling ingredients.

For the topping, use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour in a medium bowl. Add in the brown sugar, oats, and salt.

Place the filling into an 8×8″ baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the rhubarb mixture.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool 15 minutes before serving, if you can!

Posted by on April 1, 2010.

Tags:

1. Beautiful! I have never tried rhubarb!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:11 am

2. I love crumbles! I’ve never cooked with rhubarb but this definitely makes me want to try it!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:11 am

3. Love rhubarb, love crumble! This recipe is for me 🙂

by Maggy on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:13 am

4. My rhubarb is slowly growing. I can’t wait for this one!

by Maria on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:14 am

5. Love Rhubarb and my Rhubarb is about 10″ tall now and I can’t wait to pick it! Your crumble looks so good!

by Michelle on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:16 am

6. This will be our second year of rhubarb growing in the garden…hopefully we’ll get some growth out of them! On your pie crusts, do you get them all pressed into the pie dish and ready to go…then just plastic wrap them up and throw ’em in the freezer? I was wondering because I’m thinking about starting to do that too.

by Crystal on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:21 am

7. Crystal – I’m usually lazy and just put the balls of dough into a freezer bag, press down, and seal…but putting the dough into a pie dish is a great idea and will probably save you some time!

by Tracy on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:28 am

8. Rhubarb is on my must try list for a long time, I should give a try soon starting with this recipe, Sounds yumm and inviting.

by Ann on Apr 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

9. I’ve never made anything with Rhubarb but this looks delish! I’ll have to try it soon.

by LilSis on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm

10. I’m so excited that rhubarb is coming into season soon. This is such an easy way to use it and I like that it doesn’t have too many ingredients. Let that rhubarb taste shine through!

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:03 pm

11. would frozen rhubarb work? I don’t even know where to find the fresh stuff!

by Jennifurla on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:08 pm

12. Jennifurla – I haven’t tried that myself, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just as well! My grocery store has rhubarb right now, although I normally like to get it from the farmers market. Good luck! 🙂

by Tracy on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm

13. That looks so delicous. I have never had rhubarb. But I am going to definitely have to try this!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm

14. So happy it’s rhubarb season!

I’d love it if you would check out and follow my blog! It’s my journey exploring the way American women value food and how we can be better served by a more traditional approach to eating and meals.

Rachel

by Rachel on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

15. This looks lovely! I am really craving rhubarb lately… I am headed to the farmer’s market this weekend with my mom, and I am going to pick up a large bunch of rhubarb so I can do some baking with it. 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:04 pm

16. Tracy! This looks so delicious! Oooh… there are never enough really great rhubarb recipes… yummy.

by Tiffany on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:53 am

17. I’ve never cooked with rhubarb too. And also I have never seen one. I gotta do some more research I think. lol. Your rhubarb crumble looks yummy though. 🙂

by kathy on Apr 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm

18. Crumble is so satisfying, this looks delicious… you may see some on my blog soon for I decided to make some rhubarb muffins I saw in a Rachel Allen book but at the supermarket the rhubarb was buy one get one free so I have loads of it!!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Apr 4, 2010 at 4:13 am

19. I’ve seen rhubarb when i was Australia but never tried them. I’ve not them at all here in Singapore..so i’m wonder how they taste like…

by faithy on Apr 4, 2010 at 9:33 am

20. I love crumbles but I’ve never had rhubarb. It looks and sounds delicious!!!

by Kathleen on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm

21. Ooh this makes me want rhubarb even more! I’ve heard so many good things, never had the chance to try it 🙁

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

22. I just saw rhubarb at the grocery store last night and was thinking I should get some–now I wish I had! This looks fabulous.

by Fuji Mama on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm

23. I scored some early rhubarb at the store this weekend, and I’ve been pondering what to make. This looks like a perfect weeknight rhubarb dish! I like that the rhubarb isn’t mixed with anything, and can stand on it’s own!

by Beth @ 990 Square on Apr 19, 2010 at 9:32 am