Italian Sub Rolls

Several weeks ago when I was hunting for a recipe for sub rolls, I came across this basic italian bread recipe by Emeril. The recipe is supposed to make one large loaf of Italian bread, but I split it up into four smaller loaves. They still ended up being quite large, so I’ll split the dough five ways next time, and roll them out to be longer rather than fatter. Still, the bread was fluffy in the middle and crusty on the top, perfect for sub sandwiches. Give it a try!

Pour the water into the bowl of your stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast over the top; wait 5 minutes for the yeast to begin dissolving.

Add in the flour and sugar gradually as you mix using your dough hook attachment. Pour in the olive oil and salt and let the mixer knead the dough 8-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, and spray the dough with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise about an hour and a half or until doubled in size.

When ready, punch down the dough and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Split the dough into 4 or 5 pieces and roll to the length you want, keeping in mind that the dough will rise more. Tuck the ends of the dough underneath each roll and let the rolls rest on a greased baking sheet covered in cornmeal another 30 minutes; they should about double in size again.

Using a sharp knife, score each loaf 3 times. Brush the dough with the egg white and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top, then spray the dough with water from a water bottle.

Place the rolls in the oven. After 3 minutes, spray the bread with water again. Repeat a third time, depending on how crunchy you want the top of the bread to be. Bake about 40 minutes or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown (I left mine in a little too long, but they were still delicious!).

Posted by on March 30, 2010.

Categories: breads & pastries

1. Great job on those! They look delicious. ;)

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:36 am

2. Perfect rolls for a mighty sandwich! They look perfect!

by Maria on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:42 am

3. Mmm I’m thinking meatball subs for those bad boys ;D

by Sandy on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:03 am

4. Beautiful bread!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm

5. I might not make much of it but I am very inspired by bread… I need to practice making some and get more confident. Such lovely rolls would be perfect for husband’s lunches!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm

6. That is just gorgeous bread! Wow!

by Fuji Mama on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm

7. I always look forward to your bread recipes :) They make my week!!

by Tickled Red on Mar 31, 2010 at 9:45 am

8. Nothing like homemade bread. Looks great! Now I just need some roasted turkey breast and cheese!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Mar 31, 2010 at 8:26 pm

9. Awesome bread! And I love your step by step photos!

by faithy on Apr 4, 2010 at 9:30 am

10. oh..one question, since this is a straight dough method, does the bread keep well till the next day and still stay soft?

by faithy on Apr 4, 2010 at 9:31 am

11. Faithy – Yes, I used some the next day and it was still soft on the inside. :-)

by Tracy on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:45 am

12. for some reason. . . yeast and working with yeast intimidates me. but this week i am goin to tackle this is and just do it. . . if it flops then ill try again!

by Jarrelle on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm

13. Hi,
    I was just wondering about the amount of yeast that is in the recipe. It says 4.2 teaspoons. Can you tell me how much it is suppose to be.
    Thanks

by Cathy on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:49 pm

14. Cathy – Sorry for the typo! It should read “4 1/2 tsp” – I’ll update it now. Thanks!

by Tracy on Oct 23, 2010 at 5:58 pm

15. is it necessary to use bread machine yeast?

by Lois on May 26, 2011 at 10:27 am

16. Lois – I haven’t tried Emeril’s recipe with a different kind of yeast, but you can certainly give it a shot. If you’re going to use active dry, you may need to use more yeast in order to get the bread to rise in the same amount of time. Good luck!

by Tracy on May 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm

17. WOW! Im making right now for submarine sandwiches cooked on the grill. You can view by going to YouTube BBQ Pit brothers submarine sandwiches.
    Thanks for posting this recipe Tracy!

by Ann on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm

18. In response to Lois just use 5 teaspoons of active dry yeast (or 2 pkgs) I don’t use the bread machine or the dough mixer, always comes out great.

by Peggy on Nov 27, 2011 at 9:42 am

19. Amazing! I was making homemade philly cheesesteak sandwiches and decided that fresh sub buns were a must-have. Followed the recipe almost exactly (substituted white sugar) and they came out to be fantastic. Honestly, the rolls made the meal. Just used one for lunch (two days later), still in great condition (just stored in plastic bag in cabinet).

Thank you for the recipe, will make again!

by Mitchell Thayer on Dec 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm