Daring Baker Challenge: Rhubarb Tian

The 2010 March Daring Bakerโ€™s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasseโ€™s Cooking School in Paris.

When I saw that this month’s challenge was orange tian, I was looking forward to it…but I also wasn’t really feeling the orange part. So, I decided to change it up and make a rhubarb dessert. I substituted my strawberry-rhubarb jam recipe for the marmalade. I thought it turned out very well! It was light and heavenly, and it tasted like a rhubarb cream pie. I’d definitely make it again!

For the pate sablee:

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend in the butter with a pastry blender. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar. Blend until the dough comes together. Add a few drops of water if the mixture is too crumbly. Form the dough into a ball, and then wrap in plastic wrap and push into a disc. Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the dough on to a lightly floured surface, about 1/4″ thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out pieces of the dough and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

For theย  jam: Strawberry-Rhubarb jam

For the rhubarb: Cut stalks of rhubarb into small pieces. Toss in a pot with a little bit of water and sugar and cook until soft.

For the caramel:

In a small sauce pan, heat the sugar over medium heat. When it begins to bubble and foam, very carefully add in the orange juice. Remove from the heat and pour half the mixture over the rhubarb pieces. Once the dessert is assembled, heat the other half of the mixture over low heat until it thickens. Pour it over the dessert.

For the whipped cream:

In a small bowl, add the gelatine to the hot water, and stir to dissolve the gelatine. Let cool while you make the whipped cream. Whip the cream until it begins to thicken. Add in the powdered sugar, and continue to whip the cream. Add in the gelatine while beating. The whipped cream should be fluffy with soft peaks. Fold in the jam.

To assemble the dessert: Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the cookie cutters on the paper. Arrange the rhubarb on the bottom of each cutter, making sure there are no gaps. Once you have arranged the rhubarb, add a couple spoonfuls of the whipped cream. Spread a small layer of jam on each of the cookies. Carefully place each cookie on top of the dessert (the jam side should be touching the whipped cream). Gently press on the cookie to make sure the dessert is compact. Place the desserts in the freezer to set for 10 minutes. Using a knife, gently loosen the dessert from the cutters. Place your serving plate on top of the dessert and turn the plate over. Carefully remove the cutter. Pour a spoonful of caramel sauce over the top and serve immediately.

Posted by on March 27, 2010.

1. I have never heard of this dessert, but it looks so good. I like that you used rhubarb instead.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Mar 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm

2. We never eat rhubarb because I never know what to do with it besides a pie…love this idea ~ it looks great ๐Ÿ™‚

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 28, 2010 at 9:24 am

3. I’ve actually never tried Rhubarb but this looks tempting ๐Ÿ™‚

by Courtney on Mar 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

4. Hi! This was my first Daring Baker Challenge. I enjoyed it, and I really love your rhubarb variation! I may have to try this next time, as I’m not a huge fan of orange marmalade. Great Job!

by Sinful Southern Sweets on Mar 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm

5. This looks delicious! What a great idea!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Mar 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm

6. Our rhubarb is coming up! I will have to save this recipe!

by Maria on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:13 am

7. You got my attention with the rhubarb. I love rhubarb. I even have one in my garden that’s about 6 inches tall right now. I’d love to try this recipe when I’ve got some rhubarb ready to cook up! That dessert looks sooo good! ๐Ÿ˜€

by Christine on Mar 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

8. Looks fabulous, I’ve been getting bored of the orange versions after 48 hours! Nice to see someone broke the mould at last. Mine bit the dust this month unfortunately!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm

9. Great job! Your tian looks fantastic! I had wanted to do rhubarb, too, but couldn’t find any, so I did grapefruit instead. Your pictures are lovely!

by Jenni on Mar 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm

10. I love how the finished product is so pretty with the pink and peachy colors!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm

11. GORGEOUS! I love the thought of adding rhubarb–what a great flavor combo!

by Fuji Mama on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:11 pm

12. That rhubarb looks so pretty with the orangey colored caramel sauce next to it! Great job on your tian!

by Kim on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm

13. I made the orange tian but we were thinking of what other fruits would also be good – came up with peach and raspberry, but didn’t think about rhubarb! Great variation!

by Deanna @ Marzipan on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:59 am

14. This looks fantastic! I’ve been looking for some new rhubarb recipes, but I didn’t think of using it in this challenge. I still have to wait another month or so till it’s ready here, but I can’t wait to make a rhubarb dessert.

by Mary on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:51 am

15. Anything that tastes like rhubarb cream pie is delicious in my book! But I don’t quite understand the recipe…you say lay the cookie cutters out on the parchment paper. Do you mean the cookies or the actual cookie cutters? Are you stacking the ingredients inside the cutters?
    Thanks! I like the way you organize your posts–just enough pictures and instructions make it so easy to follow! Keep it up! ๐Ÿ™‚
    P.S. Found you on Tasty Kitchen ๐Ÿ™‚

by DessertForTwo on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:46 am

16. Dessert For Two – Thank you!! You are right; you are stacking the ingredients inside the cutters. (I didn’t do it that way because all I had were shaped cutters, so I just stacked my ingredients by hand – that’s why it doesn’t look as pretty). ๐Ÿ˜‰

by Tracy on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:52 am