Bev’s Pepper & Onion Sauce

Sliding in on the last day with my Tigress’ Can Jam assignment for this month like a true slacker, I give you this very easy to make pepper & onion sauce. However, I can’t take credit for this recipe – I got it from a close friend of mine who got it from her grandmother. And I just have to say, if you get a recipe from somebody’s grandmother, you know it’s going to be good. According to the notes my friend’s grandma wrote along with the recipe, this sauce goes perfectly with beef, hamburgers, hot sausage, and mashed potatoes. Hope you enjoy it!

In a medium saucepan, simmer the onions, peppers, and garlic in a bit of water. Gradually add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, cooking until the onions and peppers become tender. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens (it took me probably 15-20 minutes).

ETA: Our fantastic host the Tigress herself commented below, and she said that the current USDA safety standard for hot water bath canning would deem this recipe unsafe (there is not enough acid in the recipe). So, while I still encourage you to make it, don’t can it – just put it in the fridge and use it within a couple weeks!

Posted by on March 19, 2010.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: canning

1. That really does sound good. Peppers and onions is (are?) one of my favorite combinations!

by RJ Flamingo on Mar 19, 2010 at 11:23 am

2. That looks delicous. Definitely would work well with so many things.

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:06 pm

3. this looks lovely and i know it’s a grandma’s recipe. but the current usda safety standard for hot water bath canning would deem this unsafe. my suggestion would be to put in in the fridge.

by tigress on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

4. This sounds delicious! Thanks to your friend’s grandma.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:31 pm

5. Actually, several of the ingrediants are fairly acidic, so it shouldn’t be too hard to get the ph to an acceptable level. If you can stand tweaking grandma’s recipe, I’d get some ph test strips. Get the recipe just about where you want it, and then add a little vinegar (already likely in the ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Worstechire so it won’t change the flavor profile. This recipe is high in water content and will already be somwhat acidic, so it should not take too much acid to get it to a ‘safe for canning’ place. Just test the mixture (diluting with bottled water if necessary because of the color) with the pH test strips until you get down to about 4.0. Then you’ll know in the future how much to use! Make a test batch and then see if you like the taste – I’ll bet it will be really close, and the ability to afely can it will be very nice. 🙂

by Tarc on Mar 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm

6. Would it be safe to pressure can?

by Sarah on Sep 17, 2010 at 2:11 am

7. Sarah – Not until the acid level is adjusted. See the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving for more information about canning low acid foods.

by Tracy on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:44 am