Kiwi and Lemon Curd Tartlets

Even though I’m only a tiny bit Irish, I wanted to make something green to celebrate St. Patrick’s day today. I whipped up everything needed for these little tartlets over the weekend; one of the great things about them is that everything keeps well in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble and serve them. You can make them even more festive for the holiday by making lime curd instead of lemon (I didn’t only because my hubby dislikes anything lime). Plus, if you have any curd left over, you can store it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days – that’s plenty of time to come up with another use for it! You can also can the curd to preserve it for even longer, or give it to a friend!

For the lemon curd (Adapted from the Martha Stewart Cookbook):

For the pastry: My go-to pie crust recipe.

For the topping:

For the curd, stir together the egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the lemon juice and zest. Stir constantly until the curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon.

Kiwi Lemon Curd Tartlets - 1

Add in the cubed butter, and stir until it melts. The curd should be smooth.

Kiwi Lemon Curd Tartlets - 2

If desired, pour the curd through a fine mesh sieve to remove any lumps, and then pour the curd into a storage container or bowl.

Kiwi Lemon Curd Tartlets - 3

Press plastic wrap against the surface and then chill in the refrigerator while you make the pastry.

After you’ve made the pastry, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Roll out the dough and cut it into 6 pieces. Press the dough into lightly greased tartlet pans and prick the dough with a fork. Bake the shells 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.

When the pastry shells have cooled, spoon the lemon curd into the shells and arrange the sliced kiwi on top. You can refrigerate the assembled tarts for up to 8 hours before serving.

Posted by on March 17, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. Wow those are so cute! I really feel like making them now but must stick to my no sweets oath after last weeks overbake! Going on the to do list though. Gorgeous! <3

by Sarah @ Ratatouille on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:33 am

2. That last picture is so gorgeous! These look great, very Spring-like! Would love to serve them at the party!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

3. These are so pretty! Perfect for spring!

by Maria on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:38 am

4. I JUST made lemon curd last night for my boyfriend. He loves it! I served mine with fresh berries, but I like the addition of kiwi. We have some leftover, so I’ll have to give that a try. Happy St. Patty’s Day!

by Rebecca on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:13 am

5. Gorgeous! I love the arrangement of the kiwi.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:42 am

6. I must be slightly dyslexic. When I saw your post title I thought it said, “Lemon Turd Cartlettes”. Go on – say it fast a few times.

Despite my murdering your title, they look delicious!

by Karenpie on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:29 am

7. I love lemon desserts! Making lemon curd from scratch is even on my culinary ‘I want to try that’ list and kiwis are one of my favorites. Great recipe!

by Christine on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:03 pm

8. I love lemon. I love kiwi. I’m pretty sure I would love tartletts. Mmmmm.

by Small Town Runner on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:06 pm

9. oh yum, give me that bowl and a spoon seriously.

by Jennifurla on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm

10. I love dishes like this where you can make the various components ahead of time and then assemble them right before! Perfect party food! These are absolutely gorgeous.

by Fuji Mama on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

11. I love this. I want one with a cup of tea, b/c I’m a lot Irish!

by Stella on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm

12. Those look great! I love anything lemony!

by Raina @ The Garden of Yum on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:58 pm

13. I have seen the lemon curd a lot lately and now with your tutorial I am off to make my own! Thanks!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:07 am

14. I did miss these yesterday! Yummy and pretty! I LOVE lemon curd! I’ll bet these were light and tasty!

by Tiffany on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

15. such a refreshing and beautiful dish! I didn’t realize that lemon curd was that easily made!

by Danielle on Mar 18, 2010 at 7:46 pm

16. These look so fresh! Very springy!

by GrapeSugar on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:31 pm

17. So beautiful and simple. Love when curd and crusts are made from scratch, there is no other way. 🙂

by Susan e on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:51 pm

18. This sounds yummy!

And because I check your blog daily and love it, I have awarded you “The Beautiful Blogger Award”. Check it out and thanks for inspiring me.

by Erin on Mar 18, 2010 at 11:57 pm

19. looks like spring on a plate, bright, fresh and cheery!

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:08 am

20. These look soooo delish & refreshing! Love fruit tarts! 🙂

by faithy on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:11 am

21. Yum! These look so good, and perfect for spring!

by Barefoot Belle on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

22. Gorgeous, and they look delicious. I might have to make these with strawberries instead of kiwi!!

by Sarah on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm

23. I canned some today. It’s very yummy! The rest is going to be for my 4 year old’s birthday cupcakes. She saw the lemon cupcakes you posted a couple weeks ago and begged for them for her birthday! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful recipes.

by Sarah on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm

24. I made the lemon curd today to fill lemon cupcakes with for my daughter she loves anything lemon and she loved them. It was so easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

by Carolyn on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

25. I made the lemon tartlets and the lemon butter crème cupcakes for my bible study girls and they are amazing.
    And so easy!!

thanks so much for sharing!

by Dana Anticouni on Jun 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm