SunButter Cookies

On Sunday, I had the urge to bake with SunButter again. It’s been a while since my last SunButter creation, so I decided that it was definitely time to whip out a jar and get baking. While my hubby who loves peanut butter wouldn’t touch them, I took them to work and gave them to my co-workers – and one of them said that if I hadn’t told her, she never would have known the cookies weren’t made with real peanut butter. Success! If you’re allergic to peanuts/nuts, give these a try. And if you’re not, make them for your friends who are!

Recipe adapted from Baking From my Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.Β In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, and then add in the SunButter and beat until well-blended. Beat in the sugars and then the eggs, one at a time. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.

Shape into 1-1.5″ balls and then roll in the granulated sugar. Use a fork to make the crisscross pattern on the cookie.

Bake about 12 minutes. Store cookies in an airtight container for at least 5 days. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Posted by on March 4, 2010.

1. Ooooh girl these looks so good! Peanut butter cookies are my absolute favorite! I’m sure these are just as great or ever BETTER!!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

2. OOOOhhhh!! I want to eat all of them!

by Nicole Underwood on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:54 am

3. I am definitely going to try these…the allergist SAID I was mildy allergic (is there such a thing?) to peanuts, and while I thought he was kidding I have noticed that I do tend to get upset stomach after I eat PB…who knows, so there is not reason I shouldn’t give the sun butter a try!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:43 pm

4. Just a question, my son is allergic to peanuts & I’ve baked with sunbutter a couple of times, but my cookies have always turned green from it (which I read was a possibility). Do these cookies do that? We can’t get our mind around it to eat them when they’re green!

by Anna on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

5. Anna – I know exactly what you’re talking about. πŸ™‚ It happens because sunflowers, like all plants, contain chlorogenic acid – but sunflowers also have it in their seeds. The acid reacts with the baking soda/powder in the cookie dough (but it doesn’t affect the taste, so don’t worry!). These cookies did not seem to do that – after several days they seemed to get a bit darker on the inside, but they didn’t turn green like the candy corn kiss cookies I made with SunButter.

To keep any of them from turning green though, it is suggested to reduce the amount of baking soda/powder in the recipe or to add a bit of lemon juice to the batter in order to help better maintain the original color. Good luck!

by Tracy on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

6. Ooh… These look amazing! Yum πŸ™‚

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:18 pm

7. I love the shape of these cookies. I’ve had that sunflower seed butter, it’s good stuff. I like the pumpkin seed one on toast with a scraping of marmalade.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Mar 6, 2010 at 4:40 am

8. i’ve never heard of sunbutter..or maybe i’m not looking hard enough. Gotta check it out at the supermart later.

by faithy on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:56 am

9. and i click too fast…wanted to say great cookies!

by faithy on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:57 am

10. Oooh, I can’t wait to try these cookies! I love SunButter and like the idea of keeping some of these cookies plain, and turning some into your Muddy Buddy cookies. Thank you so much for this recipe!

by Lindsay on May 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

11. Looks delicious, I might try a dairy free, egg free version for my son who loves Sun Butter. He has multiple food allergies.

by Christina D on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm

12. Ooooooohhhhhhh….. How we LOVE sunbutter cookies!!! We make them EVERY year at Christmas time. I think we just might have to whip up a batch this weekend. πŸ™‚

Christina D. ~ We make them with Egg replacer and they turn out great. Both of my kids also have mulitiple food allergies as well. Wasn’t sure how they would turn out… but, they’re great! πŸ™‚

by Mya & Chase's Mom on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm