Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

This month’s Flavor of the Month theme was chocolate, which I thought was perfect for February (and well, I thought it was perfect anyway because I love chocolate)! I wanted to share a recipe that I adapted from one I found on Hershey’s website a couple years ago, because whenever I’ve served it, it’s always been a big hit. Plus, it’s a relatively simple dessert, so you can make it in a pinch since you probably have most of the ingredients on hand already!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the flour, half the sugar, half the cocoa powder, the baking powder, and the salt.

Stir in the milk, butter, and vanilla, beating until smooth. Pour the batter into an ungreased 9″ square baking dish.

Whisk together the other half of the sugar, the brown sugar, and the remaining cocoa powder.

Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter, and then pour the hot water over the top. Do not stir.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until the center is almost set. Remove from the oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.

Garnish with whipped topping, if desired.

Posted by on February 28, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. WOW!!! That looks absolutely sinful.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 28, 2010 at 10:51 pm

2. Oh my gosh. Send me one! I want one for my birthday please!!! 🙂 (What could be better that a homemade birthday cake from my sister????!!!)

by L on Feb 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm

3. I am totally impressed. And hungry. Thanks a lot.

😉

Blessings-
    Amanda

by Amanda on Feb 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm

4. looks so chocolately..definitely my kind of cake/pudding! 🙂

by faithy on Feb 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

5. Oh, Tracy! How could you do this to me? Now I *must* make this…like TODAY! 😉

by bridget {bake at 350} on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:29 am

6. about a week ago i called my mom in a chocolate frenzy looking for this recipe–we used to make it all the time when i was a kid, its the most decadent thing out there! i had googled around on the internet and couldn’t find it anywhere! i was so pleased this morning when i open up my google reader and saw this! YEAY for yummy Hot Fudge Pudding Cake!

by alisa on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:50 am

7. oh wow! that looks incredible ~ like, lick the plate incredible!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:59 am

8. That looks sinful…..yummy.My fav one.

by Nina on Mar 1, 2010 at 10:43 am

9. This looks sinfully delicious. A chocolate lover’s dream come true.

by Eliana on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:32 am

10. I’m making this…soon.

by Crystal on Mar 1, 2010 at 1:20 pm

11. Mmmm….looks rich and chocolatey! I love it.

by MaryMoh on Mar 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm

12. Wow, this looks awesome! I’ll have to put this on my list of things to bake. My husband is a chocoholic so I know he’ll love this treat!

by Jen @ How To: Simplify on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm

13. Unctuous, sticky, dark. Looks fabulous!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:04 am

14. goodness this looks delicious. it’s on my “to make” list.

by Tiffany on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

15. Looks amazing! I wish I was at home right now so I could make this. I need chocolate son!

by Cupcake Activist on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

16. Mmm, looks like I died and went to heaven! A definite chocolate lover’s delight.

by Amanda on Mar 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm

17. Wow… This looks like chocolate heaven. Gorgeous!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm

18. Wow, this looks decadent and delicious!

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

19. I’m seriously contemplating making this tonight. Especially considering I’ve had it bookmarked for ages.

by Angela @ The Dancer Bakes on Jul 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm

20. Looking at making this, but in reading your instructions and looking at the pictures, I see something that doesn’t quite make sense. In the picture below the batter, (dry mix in a bowl with the spoon) it looks like you have lumps of butter. The recipe calls for melted butter and doesn’t call for butter in the pudding. Should there be butter? If so, how much. Thanks!

by Auntie on May 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

21. Auntie – There’s no more butter in the recipe than what is called for. My cocoa powder was just lumpy (as you can see in the first picture of the dry mix) and when combined with the brown sugar, I can totally see how it looks like butter was worked in. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on May 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm