Eggplant Parmigiana

This eggplant parmigiana was inspired by my favorite Italian restaurant. Hubby and I went there on a date together recently, and I decided to try their eggplant parmigiana. I’ve only had it once before; it was cooked exactly like chicken parmigiana and almost like a lasagna, with layers of eggplant and sauce. However, this eggplant parmigiana was nothing like that one. The slices of eggplant were light, pan-fried with a delicate crust so that they were firm instead of mushy, surrounded by a light tomato sauce, and covered with melted slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. After one bite, I knew I needed to replicate this dish at home. Hubby and I both agreed that I came pretty darn close to the original, so here it is – hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Tomato sauce:

First, cut the eggplant into 1/4″ thick slices. Sprinkle them with the salt and pepper and let them sit about 20 minutes to release some of their moisture. Dry them with a paper towel, then preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the Parmesan cheese and cornmeal in a small bowl. Dunk the eggplant slices in the milk, and then dredge them in the cheese/cornmeal mixture. Pan fry in olive oil over medium heat until the crust is golden brown.

In a medium bowl, mix together the tomatoes, garlic, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture into a 9×13″ baking dish.

Top each slice of eggplant with a slice of the fresh mozzarella cheese, and then set into the baking dish on top of the sauce.

Bake until the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Serve with pasta.

Posted by on February 25, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner

1. Girl, you have outdone yourself. This looks incredible!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

2. Looks delicious! Eggplant Parmigiana is one of my favorite dishes to order at Italian restaurants, but I’ve never made it at home. I’d be interested to try your recipe, and others that I’ve seen that are the “other” type–more casserole-y.

by Dorothy on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:05 pm

3. This looks fantastic!!! I love eggplant and wish hubby did also. In fact, I posted an eggplant recipe myself today. Your photos are excellent!

by Pam on Feb 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm

4. Eggplant Parmigiana is one of my favorite dinners……I have never tried coating the slices with cornmeal……will give it a try……looks delecious!!

by Mom R. on Feb 25, 2010 at 11:48 pm

5. Looks yummy! I’m not a fan of eggplant but looking at yours make me change my mind. I think i should try having it for dinner one of these days. First..i must go buy some cornmeal..:)

by faithy on Feb 26, 2010 at 2:18 am

6. This is one of those meals I have had waiting to make. Husband hates eggplant, but tonight he is spending time with the boys. Perhaps tonight is THE night for this dish..sadly, I only have zucchini around, but I think it will be just as tasty with a few tweaks to keep it firm. Thanks for sharing.

by Jelli on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:34 am

7. I actually make mine the same way except I bake them 🙂

by Courtney on Feb 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm

8. I love this version of eggplant parmigiana. It looks so much lighter than the ones in restaurants that are drenched in sauce and cheese.

by Eliana on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

9. Ever since reading this post I’ve been eating zucchini parm. I make a quick tomato sauce on the stove, meanwhile toasting crumb-coated zucchini in a dry non-stick skillet. I top the veggie rounds with cheese just before serving, and top with sauce. No baking required, and super tasty. Thanks for the inspiration!

by Jelli on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm