Madeleines with Lime

I asked for a mini madeleine pan for Christmas last year because I’ve always been intrigued by these delicate cookies. I finally just got around to making them this past weekend, and my only regret is that I waited so long! They’re easy to put together, especially on the weekend when you can do something else around the house while the dough is chilling. They’re perfectly fluffy with a light crunchiness, and there are so many ways you can change up the flavor. However, be warned that the mini ones are very dangerous – I think I ate half the pan myself!

Recipe adapted from Baking From my Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Rub the sugar and lime together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant.

Add the eggs to the bowl. Beat the eggs and sugar 2-3 minutes and then beat in the vanilla.

Fold in the dry ingredients and then the melted butter. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter, and then refrigerate it for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spoon the batter into the mold, filling each one almost to the top.

Bake mini madeleines 8-10 minutes or¬†large madeleines 11-13 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm. Makes about 60 mini madeleines (and probably 12 regular madeleines, although I’m not positive).

Posted by on February 23, 2010.

1. Embarrassingly, I’ve had a madeleine pan for even longer than that and I still have never made them! These look delicious- love the limey flavor.

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:39 am

2. I haven’t made these cookies in a long time. Thanks for the reminder. I love lime too!

by Maria on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:39 am

3. Yum. I love any kind of baked goods with citrus in them… lemon, lime, orange… This sound and look scrumptious!

by Christine on Feb 23, 2010 at 12:57 pm

4. I’ve never made them but have wanted a pan for so long. They look so good. I love all things lime!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:14 pm

5. Mini ones!!! Oh, how sweet! How have I missed this pan at Sur La Table?

Your madeleines are beautiful!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

6. I really need to make these. When I’ve got the pan!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm

7. no pan, but I can dream, right ?! these look so pretty and yummy!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

8. No madeleine pan! But these sure look delicious!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:24 am

9. Ah yes – another excuse to buy another pan as these look super delish.

by Eliana on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm