Dilled Carrots

Okay, I’m not going to lie. When I saw that the theme for this month’s Tigress’ Can Jam was carrots, I was less than thrilled. But the truth is I’ve never pickled anything before, and this assignment gave me the little push I needed to learn how to do it. In that respect, it was a lot of fun. Since I didn’t want to experiment with acid levels on my own yet, I simply took Dori and Jilly’s advice to stick to a published recipe and tweak it a little from there. I used the dilled carrots recipe from The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, only I halved it – twice – because I only wanted to make one 8-ounce jar. (As you can see, I wasn’t very optimistic about how my carrots would turn out!) I shouldn’t have worried though, since they seem to have turned out well. Now I just have to figure out what to do with them!

Here’s the recipe for one 8-ounce jar:

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally to dissolve the salt.

Place the clove garlic and dill seeds into the hot, sterilized jar. Pack carrot sticks into the jar. Ladle the hot brine into the jar to cover the carrots, leaving about 1/2″ headspace (there will be some brine left over). Place the lid and band on top, screwing on the band just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jar back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let cool. The seal should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as it does).

Posted by on February 19, 2010.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: canning

1. They look lovely, Tracy! Seems to me this would work with a traditional cucumber pickle, too. Hate that I have to wait another whole week to try mine!

by RJ Flamingo on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

2. Hmmm, interesting! You’ll have to tell us how they taste!

by Small Town Runner Karen on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

3. I have never pickeled anything either but now I’m intrigued.

by Eliana on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

4. They look really pretty ~ I have never pickled anything wither, but hey..now you’ve done it it’s not so scary!
    Great job!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:01 pm

5. I also was less than thrilled when I learned about this month’s focus. But in the end, I was pleasantly surprised: I leaned towards the sweet side and made 2 jams. Good job on the challenge!

by ap269 on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

6. … interesting…. I think I would have had same initial reaction as you. They look very nice though!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 19, 2010 at 7:46 pm

7. What to do with them?? Give them to friends so we can try them before we go through the work to prepare them 🙂

by Kim on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:33 am

8. Hi! These carrots look great! When do you thinh they`ll be ready to open and eat?

by Josipa on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:35 am

9. This is interesting! I’ve never tried dilled carrots before though! is it better than pickles?

by faithy on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:41 am