Butternut Squash Risotto

You didn’t think I was going to leave you with all of that squash and no recipe to use it in, did you? Nah, I wouldn’t do that to you! Besides, risotto is very easy to make, albeit time-consuming. I can tell you that the results are worth the wait, though. Risotto is a very hearty side, one that you could easily serve as a main dish, and it’s so versatile that you can put just about anything in it from cheese to mushrooms to shrimp. If you’ve never tried risotto before, give it a shot tonight!

In a large sauce pan, bring the chicken broth and water to a low simmer. Dice the onion and garlic.

In another large sauce pan, cook the onion and garlic in the butter over medium heat.

When it is finished, pour in the rice and stir. Reduce the heat to low.

Pour in 1/2 cup of the broth, and stir frequently until the rice completely absorbs the broth. Continue simmering and adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time until the rice absorbs it and until almost all of the broth has been used (I had about 1/2 cup left over). This should take about 20 minutes.

Thin the risotto with the cooking wine, and then stir in the cheese and squash.

Serve warm!

Posted by on February 11, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner, soups, salads, & sides

1. I love risotto! It does take forever of stirring, stirring, stirring, but it’s so worth it!

by Small Town Runner Karen on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:28 am

2. I love risotta – looks fabulous!

by Jessica on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

3. Your photos are so lovely!!! I LOVE butternut squash risotto but havent made it in what feels like forever!! yum!

by Jennifer on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm

4. That looks delicious!

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:01 pm

5. Mmmm…you make the BEST stuff!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm

6. This looks so cozy and yummy! Perfect for the weather we have been having!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:21 am

7. Why have I never ever put squash in risotto? It looks fabulous!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:00 pm

8. Yum! I saw some butternut squash at the market today, and for some reason I didn’t buy any. Now I am wish I had! This looks wonderful.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 14, 2010 at 1:25 am

9. I love ordering risotto at restaurants… I’ve never made it at home. Can you believe that?! You make it sound simple, so I guess I’ll have to give it a shot! And the butternut squash sounds like a perfect addition to your lovely risotto. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Happy Valentine’s Day!

by Rebecca @ Thyme for Wine on Feb 14, 2010 at 5:17 pm

10. Oh a good comforting risotto like this one will be just perfect to chase away the cold. And flip, I just looked out the window and it’s snowing. Def got butternut squash on my grocery list now. 🙂

by diva on Feb 15, 2010 at 12:53 pm

11. Risotto is such wonderful comfort food. This one looks exceptional.

by Eliana on Feb 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

12. Mmmmmm…Love your recipes!

by Ingrid on Aug 22, 2010 at 12:42 am