How to Roast Butternut Squash

This year, I decided I wanted to learn how to cook different kinds of fresh vegetables rather than using frozen ones all the time. We’re going to be planting a garden this spring, so I want to be prepared. How the garden will survive I really don’t know, since I seem to have an incredibly black thumb. (Remember that indoor herb garden I tried to grow last spring? Yeah, they all died within a couple weeks – the shame.)

Anyway, people have assured me that various squashes seem to grow abundantly and without me having to do much to help them along, so I figured I should learn how to cook them up, starting with one of my favorites: butternut squash. Here’s a simple tutorial for baking one!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the stem off the squash and slice it in half from top to bottom. You can scoop out the seeds now if you like, or you can wait until the flesh is tender from roasting before scooping them out.

Fill a 9 x 13″ baking dish with 1/4 – 1/2″ of water, depending on the size of the squash. Place into the pan face-down, and cover with aluminum foil.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender. Scoop out the flesh and eat it as is, or use it in your cooking. Puréeing first can help reduce the stringy texture it may have (you can see in the photo that mine was a bit stringy – I just ran it through my food processor afterward to get it nice and smooth). It should last about a week stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Or, you can freeze it until you are ready to use it.

Posted by on February 9, 2010.

Categories: how to

1. These are such great tips because when I first started using it, I had NO idea how to bake it!

by Jessica on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:36 am

2. Butternut squash is so good. I Love to bake it, roast it, or make soup with it! I love it all ways:)

by Maria on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:36 am

3. I love, love, love, love butternut squash. I haven’t tried baking it yet…I was reintroduced to it over the holiday season and am going to try it soon. Hopefully, I’ll have some luck!

by Crystal on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:44 am

4. Great tips! I love butternut squash, but do not make it nearly enough. Thanks!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:18 pm

5. I cant live without my butternut! Roasting is my standby! mmmm

by Jennifer on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:25 pm

6. I love squash, any type prepared anyway, I love it. (wish my family did as much) I grew up with a very large garden and always had yellow and green squash, but only have had butternut in my adult years…. I love making tomato bisque with it, it’s delicious and I even put it over pasta 🙂 you will have a lot of fun with squash!

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:30 pm

7. Wow! I’ve never tried butternut squash before, after looking at yours, i think i’m going to hunt them down and bake it! 🙂 And how exciting to have your own garden! I live in apartment my whole life so there’s no garden to even step! 🙂

by faithy on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm

8. This is so easy! Thanks so much for sharing.

by Eliana on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:47 am

9. Butternut squash is my absolute favourite vegetable. I use an ice cream scoop to get the seeds out of mine. If I roast them whole like that, I actually eat the skins too, they are tender when roasted.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 12, 2010 at 6:59 pm

10. Butternut squash is one of my favorites, and it’s so easy to make! I’m getting hungry just looking at it! 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 14, 2010 at 12:38 am

11. I came over from interest – someone had posted your butternut squash risotto, and I can’t wait to make it!

My favorite butternut squash recipe is to peel it, scoop out the seeds, and cut into one-inch chunks. Toss with olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast in a preheated 425-degree oven until tender on the inside and caramelized on the outside, about 45 minutes to one hour, turning once. It’s so sweet and delicious! I made it last night and am planning to use the leftovers in your risotto recipe tomorrow. 🙂

by Damsel on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:44 am