Buttermilk French Toast

One of the things I love the most about the weekend (aside from sleeping in, of course) is that I have time to be leisurely in the morning and make more involved breakfasts. Instead of grabbing the usual Special K bar as I run out the door on weekdays, I can make pancakes, muffins, omelets (or “fancy scrambled eggs,” if the eggs don’t make the flip!), quiches…the list goes on. This past weekend I was craving French toast. I make mine with buttermilk – like buttermilk biscuits, it just seems right. And while French toast is best made with day-old French or Italian bread, you can make it with whatever you have on hand. I used slices of a regular sandwich loaf I needed to finish up before it went bad. You can top your French toast with berries, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or anything your heart desires. I’m a maple syrup girl, myself!

Hope you all have a great Super Bowl weekend…even if you’re not into football, I hope you enjoy all the delicious food!

In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Pour in the buttermilk, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and cardamom, and stir.

Pour into a shallow pan, and coat each slice of bread in the buttermilk mixture.

Cook over medium heat until lightly browned.

Serve with your topping(s) of choice!

Posted by on February 5, 2010.

Tags:

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. It’s my b-day weekend. I think I will show this recipe to the hubs so I can have breakfast in bed..ha!

by Maria on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:04 am

2. I’ve never tried buttermilk french toast. It’d be great this weekend. I’ll get back to you if I try it. Thanks for the recipe 🙂

by Scorpio Woman on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

3. Looks good! I love weekend relaxed breakfasts too. I’ve never used buttermilk in the liquids, but I love using yogurt, especially strawberry flavored. It gives the toast a cheesecake vibe. Yummy. Now I just have to figure out how to yank Husband outta bed before lunchtime. Thanks for sharing.

by Jelli on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:45 pm

4. I’m in heaven. Love french toast.

by Jessica on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:59 pm

5. I’m more of a fruit/yogurt or cereal for breakfast type of girl…but you’re right! The weekends are a time to splurge and these look delish.

by Sara on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

6. Oh how I wish I had some nice, warm, buttermilk French toast waiting for me in the kitchen right now… I like to make mine with cinnamon swirl bread 🙂

by Miss Dot on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm

7. I usually make my French Toast with just regular milk but buttermilk sounds like a great change up! I like to top mine with just Maple Syrup but my mom like it with some whip cream and a sprinkle of toasted nuts on top.

by Cookie on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm

8. Never tried buttermilk in my french toast…I’ll definitely try that!
    Also, on french toast I am a butter and powdered sugar girl!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Feb 6, 2010 at 9:08 am

9. I’ve never done French toast but I have buttermilk in the fridge right now so might do it for breakfast tomorrow.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 6, 2010 at 11:39 am

10. French toast is without a doubt my all time favorite breakfast! I love making it with homemade multigrain bread!

by Cassie Baker on Feb 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm

11. I like ANY kind of French toast!

by Small Town Runner Karen on Feb 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

12. Oh the reason I love you is you make stuff I dig! Yum! I wish I had this right now! I just posted a syrup that is screaming to be poured all over this!

by Tiffany on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm

13. Just made this recipe, and it was fantastic! Didn’t have cardamom, so I used nutmeg instead. Delicious! This will definitely be my goto french toast recipe.

by Kat on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:11 pm

14. I buy buttermilk occasionally for specific recipes, but I always use 1/2 – 1 cup and then have the rest left over. I’m always looking for recipes to use it before it expires, and I stumbled across this. WOW! I used day old bread that I made, sliced about 1/2″ thick. Great recipe–thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely be making this again. 🙂

by Emily on Jul 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

15. Just made these for my husband and I because I happened to have buttermilk in fridge that I was saving for a different recipe. Delicious!!!Never thought to make french toast this way but will definitely be saving this recipe. Thanks

by Angela on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm