Shrimp & Grits

As you can probably tell from my last post, right now I’m heavy into foods that take me to a place that’s far away from the cold and snow (seriously, is it spring yet?). I’ve been daydreaming about warm weather, and Southern food naturally fits right into my daydreams of stepping outside into 70 degree weather and enjoying the sunshine. I absolutely loved this dish; it was flavorful and the gravy wasn’t too heavy. Hubby liked it too, although he ate it with spaghetti instead of the grits. Serve it up with some hushpuppies for a perfect Southern feast…it’ll help remind you that warmer days are on their way!

First, put a pot of salted water on the stove for the grits. Once the water is boiling, pour in the grits. Reduce the heat to low and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally (it’s weird that it looks like 2/3 cup in the picture, but I used 3/4 cup, I swear!).

First, defrost the shrimp (or cook the shrimp, if you’re using fresh). Pour the lemon juice over the shrimp and then pour on as much of the hot sauce as you like.

Cut the bacon slices into small chunks.

Cook the bacon over medium heat until brown, but not crispy. Dice the onion and scallions.

Stir the onion and garlic in with the bacon, and continue cooking until the onion is tender.

Add in the scallions and flour, and cook for a few minutes longer before pouring in the chicken broth. Stir in the shrimp. Cook about 5 minutes longer or until the gravy has thickened.

Pour the grits into a bowl. You can add in butter and/or shredded cheddar cheese, but I just left mine plain.

Serve the shrimp and gravy mixture over the grits.

Posted by on February 3, 2010.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner

1. I love the grits at the bottom of the dish! Hubs hates the texture, but I don’t mind them.

by Maria on Feb 3, 2010 at 10:44 am

2. Can you believe I’ve never had grits?? That needs to change.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Feb 3, 2010 at 12:02 pm

3. An all-time favorite of mine!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Feb 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm

4. Oh yum! I’ve never had shrimp and grits before, but I’m a big fan of grits (when cooked properly and well seasoned). Yours looks great, and how can you go wrong with the addition of bacon? 🙂

by Dorothy on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm

5. I love shrimp and grits and am always looking for a good recipe. I’ll be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing it!
    blessings
    ~*~

by Laura on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:36 pm

6. I just learned to like grits last summer. I’m not a huge fan, but I think I could grow to like them more. This looks marvelous.

by Small Town Runner on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:40 pm

7. This looks very tasty, I haven’t a clue what grits are, we don’t get them here but they look like white polenta? Am I close?

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:42 pm

8. Sarah – You are close! Grits are very similar to polenta, as they are both made from ground corn…in fact I’m not even sure what the difference is other than polenta is of Italian origin. If anyone knows, please speak up – we’d love to know! 🙂

by Tracy on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

9. I have been looking for a great shrimp-n-grits recipe for so long now! This looks perfect!! I can’t wait to try it!

by Amy (Sing For Your Supper) on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

10. Grits and polenta, same thing but perhaps different corn varieties. This looks fantastic. It would be the meal I’d have Husband make me for Valentine’s Day, were he not allergic to shrimp and super sensitive to spiciness. Yummy!

by Jelli on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm

11. I’ve HEARD of shrimp & grits but have never eaten them. They look so good. My hubby is not a fan of polenta….it I call it grits, I wonder if he’ll like it! 😉

by bridget {bake at 350} on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:46 am

12. I’ve been trying to recreate a shrimp and grits recipe that I had out while at brunch one day years ago and haven’t been able to do it yet. This looks and sounds kind of close! Can’t wait to try it!

by Michelle from Taste As You Go on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm