Pina Colada Cupcakes

When I saw that this month’s Flavor of the Month theme was “boozy,” I decided that I wanted to bake something sweet with an addition of rum. My first thought was buttered rum bread, but unfortunately that turned out to be a big fail, both in texture and in taste. So, I started over with a friend’s recommendation, which was tropical cupcakes with rum. The first thing that sprang to my mind was pina colada, so that’s exactly what I made. They were absolutely delicious! I loved the hint of pineapple in the cupcakes, and the rum frosting topped with shredded coconut helped me forget for a while that it’s 10 degrees and snowing outside. If you want to be transported to a tropical place for a while, try these today!

Pina colada cake mix:

Rum frosting (for 12 cupcakes):

For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Β  Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, mix together the butter with the sugar, pineapple juice, and rum.

Add the egg whites, half at a time.

Add half of the flour mixture and then half of the buttermilk to the butter mixture, mixing until well-blended.Β  Repeat with the remaining halves of each. Stir in the coconut.

Pour the batter into cupcake paper-lined cupcake pans.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

While you’re waiting for the cupcakes to cool, make the frosting. Mix together the shortening, butter, and vanilla. Add in the powdered sugar. Then add in the rum, and mix until well-blended. Pipe on the frosting and sprinkle with additional shredded coconut.

Posted by on January 31, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. Tracy, these are so, so pretty! Love the little flecks of vanilla bean in the frosting! I think we all need a little taste of the tropics in the middle of winter. πŸ˜‰

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm

2. ooh, I would love these! yum!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:32 pm

3. Youve got me thinking summer, sitting around tanning and sipping pina coladas… or eating one of these! so cute!

by Jennifer on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:42 pm

4. I LOVE pina coloda flavored anything. These look incredible!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jan 31, 2010 at 8:10 pm

5. I grew up with my grandma making a pina colada cake for my birthday every year and it was my favorite. I wonder if these cupcakes taste anything like a mini version on that cake. I guess I may just have to try this recipe and find out for myself. Either way, they sound yummy!

by MissJillian on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:09 pm

6. I just had a pina colada today! This could quite possibly be the only thing that would make this day even better!

by Rebecca @ Thyme for Wine on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:07 pm

7. I absolutely LOVE pina coladas…so good! I am going to have to try these babies!!! Thanks for the great recipe!

by Maggie@SmashedPeasAndCarrots on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:20 pm

8. I love Pina Colada everything and will be trying these for sure!

by Candi on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:36 pm

9. Gorgeous!! They look absolutely gorgeous!! Did I say that already? πŸ˜‰

Love the recipe and all the pics!

Blessings-
    Amanda

by Amanda on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:38 pm

10. These look wonderful, thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

by Catherine on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:32 am

11. So uh…got any left? πŸ˜‰

Those look fantastic!

by Sandy on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:55 am

12. This sounds YUMMY! I’m going to try some vanilla bourbon or rum cupcakes for Mardi Gras – do you think it would make any difference if I use bourbon or rum (I’m not much of an alcohol drinker)

I’d also love to know how you get the vanilla specs in the frosting? I’m sure you use vanilla beans….but I’ve never used them, so don’t know how to do that – I use Mexican Vanilla, but would love to use beans!!

Thanks so much for sharing……..sorry for all the questions! LOL

by TidyMom on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:50 am

13. TidyMom – Don’t be sorry, I love questions! πŸ™‚ I’m not really much of an alcohol drinker either, so it honestly wouldn’t make a difference to me – I think either way sounds great!

For the vanilla flecks in the frosting, I used one vanilla bean, split and scraped. I did a post on vanilla extract that has a link in the comments to the eBay store I bought my vanilla beans from. Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

by Tracy on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:05 am

14. I definitely have to make these, they look delicious. Just added pineapple juice and coconut to my shopping list!

by Bonny on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:17 pm

15. These look so fun!

by Small Town Runner Karen on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:19 pm

16. Hi Tracy – got a question about the pepperoni bread. How much of the dough do you use?

by Karen on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

17. Karen – From one batch of the master recipe, I use about 1/4 of the dough. I’ll use 1/2 the dough if I’m making a large loaf. Enjoy! πŸ™‚

by Tracy on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

18. Ohhhhh— sounds so refreshing! The hubbs doesn’t like coconut so I’d just have to keep these to myself if I made ’em. Oh woe is me… πŸ˜‰

by Miss Dot on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:13 pm

19. Total yum!! πŸ™‚

by Christine on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:22 pm

20. Mmm lovely, I love pineapple and coconut. Delicious.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

21. looks very good! i didn’t know pina colada is made of pineapple juice & rum..i always thought it was a bottled drink! lol! well, now i know..:)

by faithy on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:22 am

22. wow, great job! you just made me hungry.

thanks for sharing.

carsten
    tasteandshare.com
    food & wine social network

by carsten on Feb 2, 2010 at 5:48 am

23. Looks great! Love the little vanilla bean specks in the frosting πŸ™‚

by Dorothy on Feb 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

24. This is so awesome! I just made a glutenfree, dairy free pina colada cake. So obsess with rum and coconut now! Yours look delicious too! I’d probably have to stash a few in my bag before I head out!

by Sweets at Vicky's on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:59 am

25. I just made these and they’re very good, but they just taste like a vanilla cupcake. The pineapple juice and rum taste didn’t come through at all in the cake or icing. But they look pretty!

by Kari on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:13 am