Rosemary and Roasted Red Pepper Fougasse

One of the recipes that’s always been in the back of my mind to try after purchasing my copy of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and falling in love with the no-knead way of making bread is this one: the roasted red pepper fougasse. However, I’ve always been too busy making regular sandwich loaves or my personal favorite, pepperoni bread, to really experiment with too many other recipes in the book. It wasn’t until this past month that I finally decided to dedicate some of my dough to making this wonderful bread, and I am so glad I did. The savory sweetness of the red peppers paired perfectly with the soft crumb and crispy crust of the artisan bread, and the hint of rosemary sprinkled throughout the dough made it simply divine. And as usual for any bread in the book, it’s so easy to make! Here’s what you’ll need:

Cut the red pepper into quarters, and then flatten the pieces. Place skin-side up on a foil-lined baking sheet.

Broil until the skin blackens – mine took about 40 minutes in the oven with the broiler on at 500 degrees. When the pepper slices are done, place them in a bowl and cover; the steam will help loosen the skin from the peppers. Peel off as much of the skin as you can, but don’t worry about getting it – it gives a nice smoky flavor.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with your baking stone and broiler pan in the oven. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Place the red peppers on one half of the dough, and sprinkle with salt and rosemary to taste. Cut slits in the other half of the dough.

Fold the slitted dough over the top of the red peppers and seal. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with more rosemary.

Place the dough on to the baking sheet and pour one cup of water into the broiler pan. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Posted by on January 28, 2010.

Categories: breads & pastries

1. I have got to make this with our ABin5! LOVELY!

by Maria on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

2. Oh gosh this looks AH-MAY-ZING.

by Jessica on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

3. Note to self: Do not visit sugarcrafter.net before lunch when the cupboards are bare. It’s torture to see that bread when I’m so hungry and cannot have it! 😉

Roasting peppers on a baking sheet LINED WITH FOIL <–is very important! I didn't use foil when I roasted half a case of peppers last fall and I pretty much ruined my baking sheets. I can still use them, but the charred stains are permanent. 🙁

by Christine on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm

4. all the flavors running through this sounds so incredibly tastey. and it looks beautiful too.

by Eliana on Jan 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm

5. Oh. Yum.

That is all.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Jan 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

6. oh yeah! This is right up my alley. can you please come over and bake me bread?!?! Pretty please? 🙂

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

7. Oh my that looks good. Also caught the link to the pepperoni bread. My kids would kiss my feet if I made that. I got all excited about HBin5 but haven’t even bought the book yet. Would you recommend both books or is one better? I’m a whole grain kinda gal so was leaning toward the new one.

by Karen on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm

8. Karen – I’d say if you’re a whole grain gal, go with HBin5 – you’ll love it! They are both great books, though. If you want to try out the master recipe from ABin5 first, you can always go to their website for the recipe and see what you think! 🙂 http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=195

by Tracy on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm

9. I don’t have the book but the version of fougasse I did in my Christmas post was also no knead and I couldn’t believe just how easy it was. I love the idea of stuffing it like that.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:57 pm

10. I make this bread all the time using the AB5 Semolina Bread recipe! It never lasts more then an hour once out of the oven!

by Michelle on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm