Gingerbread Truffles

Another item from the Christmas baskets – gingerbread truffles! The gingerbread cake recipe below makes a 13″ x 9″ cake (sorry about the lack of pictures, but I was really pressed for time while making all these Christmas goodies!), so you’ll get a good 90-100 truffles out of it depending on how big you make them. For the melted chocolate, I like to use chocolate chips or chunks, so I always throw a couple tablespoonfuls of shortening in to make it nice and smooth. Make sure to pick up some Christmas sprinkles to make them extra festive!

For the gingerbread cake:

For the truffles:

To make the cake, spray a 9 by 13″ cake pan with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, and molasses. Add in the eggs and whisk until smooth. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour and spices. Whisk the molasses mixture into the flour mixture until well-combined. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Whisk the water mixture into the batter and then pour the batter into the pan. Bake about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Now, spoon the baked cake into a large bowl, and crumble up the pieces.

Mix in the cream cheese with your hands – it’s more fun that way!

Roll the cake into 1″ balls, and then place them on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Once you fill up a sheet, stick them in the refrigerator or freezer while you form the remaining cake into balls.

When you are finished, take out the first batch you made, and start dipping them in the melted chocolate. Place them back on the cold baking sheet so they begin to firm up quickly – but make sure you add the sprinkles right away while the chocolate is still wet!

Posted by on January 7, 2010.

Tags: , ,

1. OHmigoodness these look like little bites of heaven!

by Jessica on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:02 am

2. These are BRILLIANT! What a great idea!

by Small Town Runner on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm

3. Yummy Tracy! Did you make up this recipe? They’re kind of like cake balls only without the frosting. I’m going to try them . . .

How do I get on the “recipient list” for next year? Ha! You put some serious love and care into your baskets – lucky friends!

by Karen on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm

4. Awesome idea! I bet these are SO, SO, SO good.

by Sara on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:05 pm

5. These were probably really good! Great idea!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm

6. These sound heavenly, I love gingerbread and wrapping it in chocolate sounds even better. Too bad I’m on a diet now!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm

7. WOW these are SO cool! ScribbleScrabbl and i mad some cake balls and failed miserably on the chocolate covering part … you’ll have to give us some tips… she has pics on her blog 🙂

by Bumberchute on Jan 7, 2010 at 6:29 pm

8. These are so pretty!! Definitely great as gifts! I want a basket too..LOL!

by faithy on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:25 pm

9. Yum! Those look absolutely beautiful. I love gingerbread. I just might have to make some now… Who says you can’t have gingerbread in January?

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm

10. Mmm… just using cream cheese instead of frosting! What a great idea! These look delish!

by howtoeatacupcake on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm

11. Yes, sign me up for one of those baskets next year! 🙂

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 9, 2010 at 4:37 pm

12. what a fun and doable project. thanks for sharing!

by Amy O'Kane on Jan 10, 2010 at 11:36 am

13. My mouth is watering just reading through this post. PLEASE. .. send me a bite of that over the cybertubes! 😉

by Christine on Jan 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm

14. I am passing along a happy 101 award, because it makes me happy every time you blog.

by Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:39 am