Pumpkin Butter, Pomegranate Jelly, and Apple-Cinnamon Jam

Aside from the homemade vanilla extract, probably my favorite items in mine and hubby’s homemade Christmas gift baskets were our butters, jellies, and jams. From left to right in the picture, we made pumpkin butter, pomegranate jelly and apple-cinnamon jam. It was my first time canning with my new water bath canner, and I had so much fun that I joined a canning group to experiment with new flavors throughout the course of this year. By the time Christmas rolls around again, I’ll have all kinds of fresh, seasonal flavors from the spring, summer, and fall to put in our baskets!

Unfortunately, since I was in such a jam (har, har) to get all of our homemade goodies done by Christmas, I don’t have any step-by-step photos for these recipes…but I’ll be sure to document the steps in my upcoming canning endeavors.

First, before you do anything else, prepare your canning supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. Also, I picked up a home canning kit like this one and found it really helpful; I highly recommend getting one if you’re planning on doing a lot of canning in the future.

Pumpkin Butter

Combine the pumpkin purée with the sugar and spices. Place the pumpkin mixture in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 1-2 hours or until thick enough so that the butter doesn’t run off a spoon when it is turned upside down.

Fill the jars and place the lids on top. This is as far as you should go with “canning” the pumpkin butter, since it’s not safe to home can – but the jars look just as cute! Make sure to store it in the refrigerator and use it within a couple weeks, or stick it in the freezer. Makes about 6 eight-ounce jars.

Pomegranate Jelly

Pour the pomegranate juice and lemon juice into a large pot. Add the pectin and stir over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then add in the sugar. Boil for 2 minutes and then remove from heat. Let stand for a few minutes and then remove any foam from the top.

When the jars are ready, fill them with the jelly to 1/4″ headspace and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 3 eight-ounce jars.

Apple-Cinnamon Jam

Put all of the ingredients except the pectin in a slow-cooker and cook on high until the apples are tender. Once cooked and cooled somewhat, blend the apple mixture in a food processor. Place in large pot (mixture will still have small chunks of apples, which is okay). Add in the pectin and stir.

When the jars are ready, fill them with the jam to 1/4″ headspace and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 6 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on January 5, 2010.

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: canning

1. I want to try them all! Maybe I can put them on a section of a piece of whole wheat toast:)

by Maria on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:19 am

2. WOW!!! Love the pumpkin butter, and I would LOVE to try to make my own pom jelly. You’re so creative! 🙂

by Jessica on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:24 am

3. These all look great! I love pumpkin butter and the others sound yummy too.

by Sara on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

4. Someday, I’m going to do some canning! I did it once, about ten years ago, and tried to do too much at once and got totally overwhelmed. I want to try again, especially when I’m able to have a garden.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Jan 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm

5. That pumpkin butter sounds so deliciously good!!!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm

6. These look wonderful, I’m so enamoured by preserving stuff in jars but never seem to do it myself other than some occasional green tomato chutney in the autumn. The colour of the pom jelly is amazing.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:44 pm

7. It’s so silly, but I’m totally afraid to can. I need to just get over the hump so I can make incredible things like you did. Great idea to buy a kit.

by Dana on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:37 pm

8. I’ve never made pumpkin butter or jams, but this is totally inspirational. I’m going to have to give it a try this year.

by Jenny on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:21 am

9. I would love to learn how to can! These all sound great! Your gift baskets must have been a HUGE hit!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

10. Mmmmm yummy recipes!
    Can’t wait to see what you make for the CanJam!

by Catalina on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:58 pm

11. They all look delicious. I made some bread last night, and I bet any of these would taste so perfect on toast this morning! 😀

by howtoeatacupcake on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm

12. Yum! These jams looks so delicious. I love canning… it’s such a rewarding process, don’t you think? I’ve made strawberry, blueberry, peach and blackberry jams. I would love to do some more unique flavors. I think I may start with your Apple-Cinammon Jam recipe!

When you call for a pouch of pectin, are your referring to liquid pectin or powdered? I have powdered pectin on hand. Thanks, Tracy.

by Christine on Jan 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm

13. Christine – I used powdered pectin. I’ll update the recipe!

I agree; canning is so rewarding. It’s wonderful to open the pantry and see all the cute little jars of things I’ve canned! 🙂

by Tracy on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm

14. Thanks, Tracy. I’ll let you know if (when!) I try your Apple Cinnamon Jam recipe.

Oh, and I also have the same little set of canning tools. My favorite tool is the little “magnet on the stick.” It’s so handy!

by Christine on Jan 11, 2010 at 2:16 pm

15. I really love giving and receiving gift baskets whenever there are special occasions. I order them directly from our local supplier,,;

by Libby Murray on May 11, 2010 at 10:25 pm

16. Hi Tracy,

Thanks for these great jam recipes. I’m planning on making your Apple-Cinnamon and Strawberry-Vanilla jams for gifts for Christmas. However, I’ve never used pectin before… How many ounces are in a typical pouch and package (are they the same thing)? And also, could I halve the recipes and use half the amount of pectin?

Thanks very much! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Georgia

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Oct 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm

17. Georgia – I typically use the powdered pectin that comes in 1.75 ounce boxes. You can definitely halve the recipes, including the pectin – I do all the time! 🙂

by Tracy on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

18. What a nice blog you have. I’m eager to make pomegranate jelly. Have a great weekend.

🙂
    ButterYum

by ButterYum on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:41 am

19. I made the apple cinnamon jam about two weeks ago. It came out terrible. It seemed to be great until I got to the step of draining the liquid from the apples. That doesn’t make sense to me – it was SO dry. I added more liquid in that I originally took out and the final product was nothing great.

I went apple picking again this past Friday and thought I’d give it another shot, except this time, leave the liquid in the mixtures and instead of powdered pectin, use one packet of the liquid pectin.

What a difference. The end result was a beautifully tasting apple pie jam – perfect consistency and just really delicious.

I’d love your input on your final product having taken out the liquid – your picture looks like my picture, but the second time around leaving the liquid in.

Look forward to hearing back.

Theresa

by Theresa on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

20. Theresa – To be perfectly honest with you, I don’t know why the recipe says to drain most of the liquid, since I leave most of it in myself. My guess is that I may have accidentally combined two recipes and it’s just a typo, and I’m sorry about that. I’ll update the recipe accordingly. Thank you – and, glad you enjoyed the second batch of jam. 🙂

by Tracy on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:47 am