Buttermilk Cardamom Cookies with Vanilla Glaze

“These are…different.”

At least that’s what the several people who tried them told me when they took a bite. I gathered that they were trying to be polite, but I have to agree; these are not your typical overly sugary, chewy, or even crisp cookies. These are soft and fluffy, almost cake-like…and the buttermilk gives them a much stronger lemon flavor than I thought it would. The vanilla glaze is where most of the sweetness in these cookies comes from, making them perfect to pair with eggnog or hot chocolate. I personally like that these cookies are a little different, since I quickly get tired of all the “normal” cookies around Christmas time. I will probably make these with regular milk the next time around though, and save the lemon flavor for lemon cookies…but if you’re looking for a “different,” not-too-sweet cookie recipe, look no further!

Cookie:

Vanilla glaze:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and lightly grease a baking sheet.Β Cream the butter and sugar together.

Add in the egg.Β In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cardamom, and salt.

Add the buttermilk and flour mixture to the butter mixture gradually.

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls on to the baking sheets.

Bake 10-12 minutes.

Let cool completely before topping with vanilla glaze and sprinkles. To make the glaze, scoop the powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Beat in the buttermilk and vanilla.

Makes approximately 16 cookies.

Posted by on December 17, 2009.

Tags:

1. I love baking with cardamon, vanilla AND buttermilk! I’d love to give them a try.

by Jessica on Dec 17, 2009 at 10:42 am

2. Those sound really good to me…I like cardamon and buttermilk, too. The glaze is so pretty on the top! Different is good! πŸ™‚

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:09 am

3. my dad loves lemon cookies so i may try to squeeze a batch in for him.. yum.

by Tiffany on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:21 am

4. I think I would probably leave some of the buttermilk in there, since I think the acid is what’s interacting with the baking soda to give them that fluffy texture and lift. This sounds like the perfect antidote to all this holiday sugar, and I will try them! They look great!

by RJ Flamingo on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:51 am

5. Mmmm, I love cardamom.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Dec 17, 2009 at 12:53 pm

6. Haha, I was trying to be polite πŸ˜‰ They are indeed “different” – in a very yummy way. They definitely jazz up the average cookie plate.

by Heather on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:42 pm

7. Hey, found your blog through “How Sweet It Is” and now I recognize some of these recipes off of Tasty Kitchen. Can’t wait to see what else you come up with! πŸ™‚

by Crystal on Dec 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm

8. I love the festive colours of the sprinkles. “Different” cookies are sometimes just what is called for – too much of the same old is boring! πŸ™‚

by Katie on Dec 20, 2009 at 2:27 am

9. How pretty! The sprinkles remind me of mother’s animal cookies which is a bonus! πŸ™‚

by gaga on Dec 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm

10. I love using buttermilk in any baked good, always makes it so much better. Love the small recipe too, only 16 cookies is perfect for us!

by Michelle on Dec 21, 2009 at 4:00 am

11. They may taste different, but they sure are pretty! πŸ™‚

by Janet on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:34 pm

12. I just made a slightly modified version of these last night, that turned out *fantastic*. I misread your recipe at first and thought they were lemon-cardamom cookies, and so went to the store to buy a lemon, thinking that I was going to need lemon juice. Ended up with a ton of Meyer lemons for about 40 cent/lb. and made these with Myer lemon juice and powdered buttermilk instead of the regular kind. Used those two ingredients in the glaze as well. They turned out soooooo good! I forgot the sprinkles, but since they reminded me of a coffee cake type pastry, I found out that a sprinkling of cinnamon on top was also a nice touch : )
    Thanks for this recipe!