Cranberry Sandies

I’ve been searching around for a few new Christmas cookies to try this season, and in my search I came upon a few recipes for pecan sandies. I can’t eat pecans though since I’m allergic to peanuts/nuts, so I decided that in my own recipe, I’d substitute dried, chopped cranberries – hence, cranberry sandies. I wasn’t sure how they’d turn out, but let me tell you, these are quickly becoming one of my favorite cookies. Plus, they’re so festive rolled in the Christmas sprinkles! They’re perfect for a cookie exchange because they’re so easy to make. Try them today!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, beat the butter on high for about 30 seconds. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, and beat until well-combined.

Beat in the vanilla, cardamom, orange zest, and flour. The mixture will be crumbly.

Stir in the cranberries.

Shape into 1″ balls and then roll in the sprinkles.

Bake 1″ apart on the cookie sheet for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest one minute; then remove to a wire rack to cool.

Makes a dozen cookies. Can easily be doubled or tripled!

Posted by on December 15, 2009.

1. those cookies are so fun! i love the “snow” falling on your blog 🙂

by Tiffany on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:02 am

2. My mom has this idea that I looooove dried cranberries, so she buys huge bags of them for me. I do like them, but not as much as she thinks. This is a great way to use some of those dried cranberries! Thanks for this recipe, Tracy!

by Small Town Runner on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:08 am

3. Sandies are so delicious to begin with, but your idea of adding cranberries makes them so seasonal! I love cranberries in everything.

by Nancy (n.o.e.) on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:20 am

4. These look delicious! I love the addition of cranberries. I made a similar cookie with my grandmother that had pecans in it. So yumm!

by Jessica on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:01 am

5. Fabulous idea! I never would have thougth of substituting cranberries for the pecans. I love cranberries.

by Sara on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:07 pm

6. I am so glad we were featured on Tasty Kitchen together:) I will have to make these for the hubs since he is allergic to nuts. Love them!

by Maria on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:47 pm

7. These sound great although my husband has total phobia of “bits” (in the same way people have phobias of buttons and such like) so I’d get told off if I rolled them in candy sugar sprinkles. Cookies sound brilliant though and I’m all for easy at this time of year!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Dec 15, 2009 at 4:01 pm

8. Love the christmas sprinkles – very cute!

by Alicia on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:15 pm

9. how pretty! the cranberries, I bet, added a nice touch!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:27 pm

10. Ooooooo those look good…………..i want some!!!

by Laura on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:07 pm

11. those look so delicious…and festive! I love the red and green sprinkles. 🙂

by G. on Dec 16, 2009 at 10:58 am

12. Cute cookies! I love the addition of cranberries!!

by inspired2cook on Dec 16, 2009 at 11:00 am

13. These ARE the prettiest cookies!!! That made me smile to see you on TK today! 🙂

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:46 pm

14. Oh the cranberries is a great idea, such a lovely surprise under the alluring cuteness of all those sprinkles! love them!

by Jennifer on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:41 am

15. Okay, I made these last night. They tasted WONDERFUL! About half of mine spread out flat, though — they didn’t hold that nice cookie shape. Not sure what I did wrong there. Half of them looked nice, but the other half… not so much. I still ate them, though, because they were really good. I thought that since the dried cranberries were already sweetened, the cookies would taste ultra-sweet, but they didn’t. The cranberries still offered a tartness. They were delightful.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Dec 17, 2009 at 12:52 pm

16. Loved that you rolled the cookies in Nonpareils…so cute and perfect for Christmas!

by Michelle on Dec 21, 2009 at 4:02 am