Butter Cookies

Are you ready for Christmas yet? With only a few weeks to go, I decided that I really needed to get going on my Christmas baking. It didn’t take too long for me to decide what I wanted to bake up after the chocolate chip candy cane cookies – butter cookies are always welcome on any cookie tray! These cookies are surprisingly light; they melt in your mouth, and the butter flavor is fantastic. Plus, you probably have all the ingredients needed in your pantry and refrigerator already, so they’re easy to whip up in a pinch. Happy cookie baking!

First, soften a stick of butter.

In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar. Mix in the vanilla.

Add in the egg, beating until fluffy.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture half at a time, beating until well-combined. Shape into a ball and cover with plastic wrap, and then stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Shape the batter into tablespoon-sized balls. Roll in the granulated sugar and then place on the sheet, pressing down to flatten slightly.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set.

Remove to a wire rack to cool. I got about 16 cookies out of this recipe. You can easily double it if you need more!

Posted by on December 9, 2009.

Tags:

1. These cookies look so good. I have been compiling my baking list and am going to add these. I love a buttery cookie!

by Jessica on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:00 pm

2. Mmmm, butter cookies are so yummy! I live in the West and Challenge Butter is one of my favorite brands.

by Sara on Dec 9, 2009 at 2:31 pm

3. These look really good and simple. I’ll have to stick with Land O’ Lakes, though, since I’m in Indiana.

by Small Town Runner on Dec 9, 2009 at 2:41 pm

4. Butter cookies are simple but oh so tasty!

Two Peas and Their Pod moved to WordPress, please update your readers, etc. Our address is: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com
    Come visit us and check out our new look! Thanks for following us!

by Maria on Dec 9, 2009 at 2:59 pm

5. mmmmmm…. these look like something my girls and i should make together!

by Tiffany on Dec 9, 2009 at 3:10 pm

6. These look great, I can almost sense the crunchy chewiness just by looking at them.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:46 pm

7. These cookies sound AMAZING! And so simple! I’m going to have to try these as soon as I get the chance. I love your site. I just found it today through Tasty Kitchen. I’ll be back!

by MommyTopics.com on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:20 am

8. I love butter cookies. I particularly like the melt in your mouth part.
    Mimi

by Mimi on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:31 am

9. How lucky…free butter!!! 🙂 I’ll bet these are incredible!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm

10. Those look yummy! I love a butter cookie ~ haven’t ever seen Challenge Butter, will have to keep my eyes up!

by Shelly on Dec 10, 2009 at 6:26 pm

11. Your cookies look beautiful! You can’t beat butter cookies.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:07 pm

12. all I know is that those look like melting moments that my good friend used to make. And that it looks really good.
    I still love your falling snow. i wish snow were falling here…

by Jennie Menke on Dec 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm

13. K. Oops. I meant to post my last comment on your cardamom cookies. THOSE look just like the melting moments… just to be clear. I think one of those snowflakes fell in my eye and I couldn’t see what I was clicking on.

by Jennie Menke on Dec 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm

14. They look lovley

Do you have the ingredients in grams or ounces?

by Jesmin on Mar 15, 2011 at 7:54 am