Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cookies

This weekend was a little crazy. We celebrated Christmas with my side of the family, so I had a LOT to get done before we arrived (unfortunately I still can’t post about the gifts until we celebrate Christmas with hubby’s side of the family, because the gifts are similar). On Sunday though, I found some time to bake up these cookies. They’re based on Dorie’s recipe for chocolate chip cookies, since her recipe is hands-down my favorite. I love the look of the candy canes sprinkled on top – so festive! Hope you enjoy them!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.

In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add in the sugars and beat for another two minutes, and then beat in the vanilla.

Add in the eggs one at a time.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the dry ingredients gradually. Stir in the chocolate chunks and chips.

Spoon the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls on to the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle on the crushed candy canes.

Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are brown and the centers are golden. (Usually when I’m baking these they never look done to me, but they are – and if I don’t take them out they’ll turn completely brown!) Remove them from the oven and let them rest for one minute, then carefully remove them to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.

Posted by on December 7, 2009.

1. Yum! I love a good chocolate chip cookie even more than most Christmas cookies. What a great way to make it festive for Christmas!
    Karen.

by Small Town Runner on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:12 am

2. my daughter’s would love this cookie! i will be adding it to my list 🙂

by Tiffany on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:16 am

3. These are ADORABLE…and especially cute tied with the ribbon!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:20 pm

4. beautiful cookies 🙂

by Scorpio Woman on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:02 pm

5. wow those look great! I am going to make those for sure!! Out of curiosity, how many does your recipe yield? Thanks and happy holidays!

by katiek on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:27 pm

6. Katie – Dorie’s recipe yields approximately 45 cookies. Enjoy! 🙂

by Tracy on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:31 pm

7. Great idea, I never thought of smashing these up and putting them in cookies. Very festive!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:22 pm

8. Oooohh yum – love the look of these cookies!

by Alicia on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm

9. Thank you Tracy!

by katiek on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:42 am

10. These look delish! We’re having a cookie swap next Friday at work, and I’ll be making these. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

by Lisa Ashby on Dec 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm

11. I love your snow! It’s so cute! Great recipe!

by Kitty on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:11 pm

12. What a clever holiday twist to a classic cookie! Great idea.

Wow. How organized did you have to be to already celebrate Christmas with half of your family?! I’ve barely even started shopping or decorating! LOL

By the way, your blog looks so festive with that adorable header and all the snow. I love it! 😀

by Christine on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:06 pm

13. Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I’m just NOW finding your blog! I love it and I’m hooked. These cookies look wonderful and so Christmassy.

by Sara on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:57 pm

14. Yum! There is something very satisfying about smashing candy canes… It’s one of my favorite holiday stress relievers! Your cookies look so tasty! Love this one.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:08 am

15. OH Tracy so pretty! Love the crushed candy cane in these cookies and I can’t imagine they’d be anything short of wonderful!

by Michelle on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:09 am

16. I just pulled these out of the oven and my husband is drooling over the smell…YUM!!

by Nicole on Dec 13, 2009 at 7:57 pm

17. Hello!

I´m going to use this recipe for Christmas presents, it´s a great idea 😀
    Can you help me in one thing, ¾ tsp baking soda how many grams are?

Love your Blog!

by Sónia Torres on Dec 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm

18. Hi
    I am going to use this recipe for a cookie exchange. Do you know how many cookies are in one batch?

by Ashley on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:25 am

19. Ashley – Dorie’s recipe yields approximately 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

by Tracy on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm

20. Hi, I just made these cookies. The turn out REALLY flat and don’t need to be cooked 375 degrees more like 325-350. Even though they do turn out extremely flat and have a tendency they do taste good if you pull them out of the oven at the right time!

by Laura on Dec 7, 2012 at 12:32 am

21. The temperature is to hot. If you bake then until golden brown and soft if the center the will stay too soft in the center. If you bake them a little bit longer until brown, they are hard as a rock.

by Merle on Dec 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

22. My cookies came out way too flat. The cndy sank through to the bottome of the cookie and stuck to the pan. I added one half cup more flour and left off the cndy and they were somewhat better. I don’t think I will make them again.

by Claire on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

23. Claire – I’m sorry the cookies didn’t turn out for you! Since my adaptations to Dorie’s recipe were very minor, I’m afraid I’m not too sure where things went wrong. I’d suggest getting in contact with Dorie – she’s on Twitter @doriegreenspan and I’m sure she’d love to help you out!

by Tracy on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

24. Our cookies also turned out extremely flat- one pan even spread so much it merged into a giant (albeit tasty!) cookie cake. I wonder if there needs to be some baking powder in the dough?

by Kristen on Dec 14, 2013 at 6:38 pm

25. Hmm… just an observation-
    I have an old family recipe that almost calls for the same proportions, only that I have a teaspoon of baking soda in my dough, and the reason why it is “flat” may be because the dough isn’t chilled at least 10-20 minutes before they’re put in the oven.
    My temperature is at 350, 10 minutes per cookie sheet.
    Mine always gets the texture of being chewy.

by Michelle on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:32 pm