Gratin de Pommes de Terre et Saucisson

One more Thanksgiving post before I get on to the Christmas stuff – promise! But this dish was just too good not to share. I made this as a side for our Thanksgiving feast, because I didn’t want to make a green bean casserole. Now don’t me wrong, I love a good green bean casserole…but I just wasn’t feeling it this year, so I decided to do something else. Something different. Something decidedly not noncaloric, because it’s Thanksgiving, and why not? So I opened my copy of Mastering the Art of French cooking to peruse the gratin section, and I decided on this. It was so easy to put together, and you can even prepare it ahead of time and bake it later, which I took full advantage of – I stored it in a lidded Pyrex dish in the refrigerator until it was ready to go in the oven. Try it out the next time you have guests over; it’ll be a hit for sure!

Recipe adapted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Cook the onions in butter or oil until tender, but not overly browned.

Cut the potatoes into slices.

Cut the kielbasa into small slices.

Beat the eggs with the whipping cream, adding in the salt and pepper.

Drop the potatoes into the boiling, salted water and cook 6-8 minutes. Drain. Butter a 9×9″ baking dish. Layer half the potatoes, half the cooked onions, and half the kielbasa. Then, layer the rest of the onions and remaining potatoes.

Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes, and shake the baking dish to send the liquid to the bottom. Sprinkle on the swiss cheese.

Bake 30-40 minutes or until nicely browned.

Posted by on December 4, 2009.

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. Wow that looks super tasty 😀 I could definitely do that – its funny its French because I would have thought German 🙂 But then I guess we’d need sauerkraut in there somewhere 😀

by Sandy on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:46 am

2. YUM! This one goes in the recipe box, too! Reminds me of my mom’s scalloped potatoes — she always put smoked sausage in them, too.

by Small Town Runner on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:48 am

3. I literally just said (out loud, to myself), “Holy crap, that looks good.” I HAVE to make this. My husband and I are definite meat and potatoes kind of people. Throw in some cheese, and we’re in heaven. Thanks for the recipe!

by Kelly on Dec 4, 2009 at 11:44 am

4. that looks so delicious, too bad I can’t pronounce it!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:18 pm

5. Cor, we used to have an advert in the UK that would apply to this: “Naughty but Nice” (about cream cakes in the 1970s!!). I love potato bakey things with cream sauces so I’d really like this, must try!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:56 pm

6. Can I tell you what music it is to my ears that you chose this over green bean casserole? My stomach lurches at the thought of that slimy green sludge covered in french fried onions. Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s a holiday hit, but not even Alton Brown’s episode on Good Eats could convince me to try this dish again. I suppose it’s my mother having forced it down my throat as a kid that has jaded me. On a more positive note, your potatoes look really REALLY tasty. I’m ready for the Christmas recipes. Bring ’em on!

by Jelli on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:32 pm

7. Looks like ooey gooey deliciousness!

by Monica on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:40 am

8. delicious. I think I’ve found something to make at Christmas time. Thanks.

by G. on Dec 5, 2009 at 8:59 am

9. I just had this for dinner – SO GOOD! I only made minor mods – increased the amount to fill a 9×13 pan, switched out fat free evaporated milk for the cream, and used colby jack since we didn’t have swiss. My husband and I LOVED it. This will be in heavy rotation! Thanks, Tracy!

by Kelly on Dec 6, 2009 at 8:21 pm

10. I looked at this book on the weekend – but I just don’t think I can buy a recipe book without pictures!

by Alicia on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:34 pm

11. Oh my goodness. This recipe is all kinds of bad for my waistline. . . . BUT I DON’T CARE AND WANT SOME RIGHT NOW!! 😆

by Christine on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:58 pm