Roasted Sweet Potato Fries

When I first started thinking about what to have on the menu for Thanksgiving dinner, I decided that I really didn’t want any of the dishes to be boring. Traditional yes, but not boring. When I got to the potatoes, I knew that I wanted to make myΒ creamy mashed potatoes, but then I was faced with a dilemma regarding the sweet potatoes. I mean, how boring would it be to make the same exact thing, only with yams? So, I decided not to do that, and to make sweet potato fries. Except, I didn’t want to actually fry them – instead, I decided to roast them with some spices and olive oil. And man, were they good. And not just Thanksgiving dinner good. Good as in I’ll be making these as a side to many everyday dinners to come. Try these today! They’re simple and the results are amazing!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray two baking pans with cooking spray. Wash and peel the yams.

Cut them into wedges. They don’t have to be perfect – rustic is good here!

Toss the potato wedges on to the pans and drizzle with olive oil. Season to taste with the salt, rosemary, and thyme.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until tender, turning the wedges two or three times to prevent excessive browning.

Posted by on December 2, 2009.

Tags:

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. I have an obsession with baked sweet potato fries! They are the BEST!

by Maria on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:22 am

2. yummy! i make something similar but without rosemary. pretty pictures πŸ™‚

by Tiffany on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:23 am

3. You’ve inspired me! I bought some sweet potatoes (the Costa Rican odd version) this weekend at the market, planning to toss them into the slow-cooker with chicken and corn, but the grocery had smoked chickens on super sale, which means I tossed that idea. Now I will definitely be making these fries, and roasting the corn in the oven alongside. Perfect! I almost always flavor my potatoes with rosemary, as well. It gives such a lovely aroma. I thank you ahead of time for making my dinner tonight scrumptious.

by Jelli on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:32 am

4. Two of my favourites – chips and sweet potato in perfect harmony. So simple but brilliant!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:10 am

5. Mmm sounds yummy πŸ˜€

by Sandy on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

6. I love these! This is a great recipe and instruction guide. So much better than regular old potatoes!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:08 pm

7. I absolutely love sweet potato fries and still have quite a few on hand from my csa share. You remind me that I really should make them at home more often.

by Kelly on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:27 pm

8. I LOVE sweet potato fries. They are my favorites. If you nuke them for just about a minute, they are much easier to slice πŸ™‚

by SnoWhite on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:18 pm

9. Oh, I love sweet potato fries. Now I can make them myself! Thanks so much for sharing!

by Small Town Runner on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:05 am

10. I made something like this for a party I catered last year and they were the first thing to disappear. I could eat them all night long!

by Dana on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:28 pm

11. I love sweet potato fries. Thanks for the recipe.
    Mimi

by Mimi on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:43 pm

12. Mmmm…I love sweet potato fries and yours look fabulous! Rustic…just the way I would make them ;)…love that!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:58 pm

13. I love sweet potato fries. These look wonderful!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:24 pm

14. I have a bunch of sweet potatoes.. I should try this! πŸ™‚ Thanks for posting πŸ™‚

by Courtney on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:04 am

15. Love sweet potatoe fries! I haven’t tried them with your suggestion of these herbs, it sounds delicious! I have a sauce that would pare so nicely with them. Such a cute blog!

by Cristie on Dec 13, 2009 at 4:49 pm