Cranberry Sauce

It’s just not Thanksgiving without the cranberry sauce. However, this is my first year making real cranberry sauce. You know, instead of the can-shaped stuff I grew up on that you can slice, and which makes that “schloop!” sound when it pops out of the can and on to a plate. This year, since it’s my first time hosting, I decided to put an end to that – because homemade cranberry sauce is really so easy to make, and because the taste is simply not comparable to the canned stuff. This recipe is pretty basic, but you can add in whatever you like – lime juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, pecans, raisins – whatever your heart desires! Just promise not to buy the canned stuff anymore. You’ll thank me later.

Wash the cranberries in a strainer, inspecting them to make sure there are no bits of twig present.

In a large saucepan, bring the 1 and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add in the sugar and stir to dissolve. Then, add in the cranberries. Return to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. You’ll hear little popping noises as the cranberries burst open. Stir in the orange peel, lemon juice, cinnamon, and ginger.

Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Yes, I poured mine into a loaf pan. I was running out of storage containers, okay?

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve!

Posted by on November 24, 2009.

Tags:

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. This looks great. How much cinnamon do you suggest using? Ground or just throw a stick in? Also, do you prefer fresh or ground ginger?

by Becky on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:43 pm

2. I tried cranberry for the first time 2 years ago, and it broke my heart to know what I’d been missing all these years! Great recipe!

by Kitty on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm

3. I love making my cranberries from scratch! You’ll always have the Philistines who insist on the jellied goop from cans, but for the rest of us, fresh is best! Funny that we both posted cranberry sauce today! 🙂 Yours sounds so good!

by RJ Flamingo on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm

4. Mmmmm…I love cranberry sauce. One of the first times I hosted Thanksgiving at my house, my mom was so dismayed that I was MAKING cranberry sauce. We had to go out and buy a can of the other stuff! 😉

by bridget {bake at 350} on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm

5. Tracy I can’t keep up with your posts! WOW…you are a cooking and baking machine lately! LOL! I know it’s the season and every one of your pictures looks so good.

by Michelle on Nov 24, 2009 at 7:45 pm

6. Cranberry sauce is not my most fave, but the homemade stuff definitely has an edge over the canned. I might have to give it a go this year and surprise the family. Your recipe looks pretty easy, so I guess there is no excuse!
    Thanks!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:36 am

7. Becky – I’d probably just add 1 tsp of ground cinnamon. You can use fresh, but I didn’t want to remove anything afterward so I just used ground spices. 🙂

by Tracy on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:57 am

8. I’ve been making all kinds of variations of homemade cranberry sauce like your recipe for the last 10 years or so. My favorite additions are cinnamon, ginger and chopped dried figs for additional texture.

by Christine on Nov 28, 2009 at 9:45 pm

9. Ooo, I never thought to add ginger or cinnamon. Next time!

by Small Town Runner on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm