Cinnamon-Raisin and Ginger-Cranberry Bagels

This weekend got to be a lot more busy than I thought it was going to be, so (as you can see) I wasn’t able to post yesterday. To make it up to you though, I’ll be posting twice today! I’ll start off with what I’ve decided to have for breakfast on Thanksgiving Day: whole wheat cinnamon-raisin and ginger-cranberry bagels.

Since I just bought the book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, I used their master recipe for whole wheat dough to make the bagels. Aside from how healthy they are, I love that we’ll be able to eat them the next day for breakfast, or make leftover turkey sandwiches with them for lunch! I popped them in the freezer when they had finished cooling so that we can have fresh bagels whenever we want – except for the one I ate, of course.

First, get a big pot of boiling water ready. Mix together half the sugar and the cinnamon in one small bowl, and the other half of the sugar and the ginger in another. Divide the dough in half and roll each half out to 1/4″ thickness. Sprinkle one half of the dough with the cinnamon mixture and raisins.

Sprinkle the other half of the dough with the ginger mixture and cranberries.

Roll up both halves of the dough jelly-roll style, and then shape them into balls. From each half, cut off  pieces about the size of a peach, and dust each one with flour. Shape the pieces into small balls, and then poke your thumb through the middles to form the holes. Stretch out to 2-3 times the size of the bagel.

When the water has reached a rolling boil, add in 1 tsp baking soda 1 Tbsp salt. Drop the bagels into the water, making sure they’re not crowding one another. Let simmer 2 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other. Remove the bagels from the water and place them onto a clean kitchen towel dusted lightly with whole wheat flour. With your baking stone and broiler pan already in the oven, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

When all of the bagels have been boiled, carefully slide them onto the baking stone and pour a cup of water into the broiler pan. Bake 20-25 minutes until browned and firm.

Cool completely on a cooling rack, and then enjoy them with butter, cream cheese, or as a sandwich!

Posted by on November 23, 2009.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breads & pastries, breakfast & brunch

1. I have to make these! It is a must. They look wonderful!

by Maria on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:29 am

2. I’ve never thought of trying to make bagels. These look good!

by Small Town Runner on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:29 am

3. Whoa!! My level of respect for you just shot WAY up! I’ve never even considered making bagels at home. Major snaps for you!

by Miss Dot on Nov 23, 2009 at 3:18 pm

4. I’ve always been too scared to make bagels… the idea of boiling dough put me off, I can’t even poach eggs without getting in a mess. Well done!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:25 pm

5. They look wonderful – I really want to try making bagels at some point – it is such an interesting process.

by Alicia on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:31 pm

6. I really need to get a copy of that book. I think I’ll have to put it on my Christmas list!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:42 pm

7. I can’t believe you made your own bagels! You are a crazy woman! Great job, they look delicious!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:46 pm

8. You MADE those?!? Oh my goodness! They look like heaven. Someday you will find me camped outside your house! 😉

by bridget {bake at 350} on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:06 am

9. I’ve been wanting to make bagels, and this recipe is now going to the top of the list. I can’t wait to try them. Yummy!

by Jelli on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm

10. These look so good, Tracy. My mouth is watering! I’m going to try to make these soon. On a weekend. 😉

by Christine on Nov 28, 2009 at 9:39 pm