Red Velvet Pomegranate Cupcakes

I know, I know. I can’t seem to stop with the pomegranate. Since this is the first time I’ve eaten the actual fruit rather than just drinking the juice I buy at the store, I’ve been so excited to try new things with it. I just love the flavor! Sweet and tart, I could snack on the delicious seeds all day just by themselves. Pomegranate was perfect paired with chocolate in the mousse I made earlier this week, so I was thinking about going with chocolate again. But then I started thinking about cupcakes, and all I could think about was red velvet with a hint of pomegranate. So, I went for it. I only made 12 cupcakes though, since I wasn’t sure if they would be well-receivedย or not. I took them to a party on Saturday, and the verdict? Everyone loved them. All but 2 were gone, both of which were devoured by my husband the next day!

Cake mix (makes 12 cupcakes):

Vanilla bean-pomegranate buttercream frosting:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.ย Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the vanilla and egg.

In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, pomegranate juice, and food coloring.

In a different bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.

Add the buttermilk mixture and flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately, mixing until well-combined. Stir in the baking soda and vinegar.

Pour the batter into the cupcake liners.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

To make the frosting, cream together the butter and shortening. Beat in the vanilla, then gradually beat in the powdered sugar, half at a time. Add in the milk, pomegranate juice, and vanilla bean, and beat until well-combined.

Cool completely before frosting.

Posted by on November 18, 2009.

1. I am in love with Poms! Love these!

by Maria on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:59 am

2. Did you just make red velvet yummier?? I think you did. Totally brilliant.

by Rachel J on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:42 am

3. oh wow! I want some ๐Ÿ™‚

by Scorpio Woman on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

4. My mom had a recipe for red velvet cake when I was young. The whole family LOVED it. And then, tragedy struck: the recipe was lost. (Okay, maybe “tragedy” is an exaggeration.) She looked for years for a comparable recipe, and none were as good as the original. This one, while certainly difference due to the addition of pomegranates (because who had heard of a pomegranate in 1980?), might just be what I’ve been wanting.

Dumb question: if I used this recipe for cake instead of cupcakes, would there be much alteration needed?

by Small Town Runner on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:07 pm

5. Karen – there are no dumb questions here – I’m still learning myself! Anyway, I would double the recipe since it only makes 12 cupcakes. Then you should be able to just pour it into a 13×9″ cake pan.

I don’t know if it’ll come close to your original, but I hope it satisfies your craving for red velvet! ๐Ÿ™‚

by Tracy on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:10 pm

6. Oh my goodness, those look and sound delicious. I think I’m going to have to try these just for the frosting. Pomegranate juice and vanilla bean together? MMMmmm mouth is watering! ๐Ÿ˜‰

by Christine on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm

7. These cupcakes sound delicious! I’ve never tried pomegranate in any food, I’ve only eaten it by itself. I want to try this.

by Cupcake Activist on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:00 pm

8. Girl you ARE on a pomegranate streak, aren’t you?? No matter, I’m loving all these ways you’re coming up with to incorporate them into desserts (my faaaavorite!!). I absolutely love the vanilla flecks in your frosting, too. I just bought some vanilla beans but have yet to make any frosting with them. I’ve just been too busy ๐Ÿ˜›

by Miss Dot on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:56 pm

9. I’m making these tomorrow night! I can’t wait to taste them!

by Michelle on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:27 am

10. They look great, glad they went down a treat for you!

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:08 am

11. Delicious! I don’t really like the seeds myself, but I love how the look as a garnish on things ๐Ÿ™‚

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:50 am

12. you make me laugh ๐Ÿ™‚ once you get on something… you are on it! keep the POM recipes coming! they look wonderful.

by Tiffany on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:56 am

13. Yum.. Love the cupcakes! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been loving the POM recipes… I’m addicted to pomegranates right now, too.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm

14. I just bought my first Pom this week. I grew up with a Pom tree in our backyard and have great memories of walking home from school while eating the seeds. Your cupcake pictures are gorgeous.

by Melody @ Party Cupcake Ideas on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:44 pm

15. Omg, it looks so delicious. I like how you incorporate the vanilla beans on this, simply beautiful.

by harcout breton on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:54 am

16. at what point did you put the pom juice in the cake batter? you recipe never says. i assume it is with the other wet ingredients but i want to make sure. thanks.

by Lisette on May 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm

17. Lisette – Oops, you’re right – I didn’t say where to add it in! You are correct; it goes in with the other wet ingredients. I have updated the recipe accordingly. Thanks for letting me know! ๐Ÿ™‚

by Tracy on May 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

18. Hi

Why do you use shortening in your frosting recipes instead of all butter.

by Jackie on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:06 pm

19. Jackie – When I’m decorating cakes/cupcakes, I like that the shortening helps the frosting to hold its shape a little better when it’s warm out – when it’s a little cooler, I can usually get away with using all butter. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:56 pm

20. Hi Tracy

So when I use all butter in the frosting recipes, I use 2 sticks of butter for the 1/2 cup of shortening since 1 stick of butter is equal to 1/2 cup.

by Jackie on Sep 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

21. Jackie – Thanks for the info!

by Tracy on Sep 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm