How to Cut and De-Seed a Pomegranate

Aside from the fresh cranberries I’ve been stockpiling since I discovered them on the shelves at the grocery store a couple weeks ago, pomegranates are in season right now as well. However, while I often buy pomegranate juice, I’ve never eaten the actual fruit until this year – crazy, Β right? So, I thought I’d do a quick tutorial on how to cut and de-seed a pomegranate, with a simple recipe for pomegranate syrup at the end. Enjoy!

The first thing you should do is to make sure you’re wearing something you don’t mind getting dirty, because if the pomegranate juice splashes on your clothes, it will stain. Also, use a plastic cutting board – again, wood will stain.

Once you’re ready, cut the pomegranate in half from root to tip.

Cut both halves in half again.

Now, fill a large mixing bowl with water. Take each quarter of the pomegranate and submerge it in the water, working with your fingers to peel the seeds away from the membranes. The seeds will sink to the bottom and the pieces of membrane/peel will float, which you can skim off the top with your hand or a spoon.

Pour the bowl of water/seeds into a strainer, and give the seeds a good rinse to get rid of any additional pieces of membrane. At this point, you can put them into a bowl for snacking, or you can freeze them.

To freeze the seeds, dry them off and pour them out on to a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Freeze an hour or two until frozen, and then move them to a freezer bag.

To make pomegranate syrup, first we have to make pomegranate juice. Pour the seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate into your food processor and give it a few good pulses. (Two pomegranates yield approximately 1 cup of juice, so we should get about 1/4 cup of juice).Β Pour the liquid through a mesh sieve, pressing down to extract as much of the juice as possible.

Pour the juice into a small saucepan with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 tsp agave, and stir until the sugar dissolves completely. Store in the refrigerator. You can use it in your coffee or tea, or for drizzling over salads, desserts, or other dishes!

Posted by on November 13, 2009.

Categories: how to

1. Now this is what I should be doing. I feel dead guilty having just eaten a whole bar of green & blacks now.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:08 am

2. I went to pick J up from my MIL’s house last week and she was eating pomegranate seeds! At first I had no idea what they were. Now it looks like I might have to buy some, since apparently she really likes them…this will be helpful! Thanks! πŸ™‚

by Bee on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

3. Ok…so silly question. Do you ever eat the membrane? Or are you just supposed to eat the seeds? I had to read this post twice when I realized you were using the seeds to make juice not the fruit.

Sorry I’m fruit stupid apparently πŸ˜›

by Sandy on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:20 am

4. Sandy – No, you don’t eat the membrane; you just want to eat the seeds. πŸ™‚

by Tracy on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:22 am

5. Wow, I might have the confidence to get an “exotic” fruit now. We tend to stick to safe fruits and veggies only because I have no idea what to do with the not so normal ones πŸ™‚ Thanks!

by Heather on Nov 13, 2009 at 1:03 pm

6. I have always avoided these because I had NO IDEA what you were supposed to eat! :S Thanks!

by CJ on Nov 13, 2009 at 2:22 pm

7. wow! that’s a lot of work! I love to eat pomegranate seeds, but I think I will leave the juice part up to POM πŸ˜‰

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Nov 13, 2009 at 2:25 pm

8. My husband introduced me to pomegranates a few years ago. It never occurred to me to try to make my own juice or syrup. Interesting!

by Small Town Runner on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:50 pm

9. These are such beautiful fruits. We do not have them here in Costa Rica, but we have something similar, that I absolutely love to eat (and gross out kids with!) Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

by Jelli on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm

10. Great tutorial! You know, I’ve never had a whole pomegranate before. Now that I know how to cut one, though, I really have no excuse!

by Miss Dot on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:43 pm

11. Tracy! What a great post! I never thought to freeze the pomegranate seeds before. And I would never have thought to clean under water to save the squirting juice!

I love posts where I learn things…of course looking at drool worthy food is pretty great too!

by Michelle on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:02 pm

12. You don’t have to quarter the fruit on a cutting board – just score the fruit on the blossom end, then sink the whole thing in a bowl of water. If you stick your thumbs in the ‘open’ blossom end, the pom will split open easily and you can continue.

by Auntie Kathy on Nov 14, 2009 at 12:06 am

13. Thanks for the tutorial. I was in a recent fight with a fresh pomegranate which left my shirt and kitchen looking quite suspect. The tip about submerging in water is brilliant!

by Kelsey on Nov 14, 2009 at 12:53 am

14. Pomegranate seeds are so beautiful….I’ve bought one ONCE! The whole process just aggravated me. πŸ™‚ I don’t like having to work that hard for something healthy! πŸ˜‰ So, I’m sticking to POM Wonderful….love that stuff. Although, I JUST saw frozen seeds in a specialty shop this afternoon; I’ll have to make your syrup. Yay!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Nov 14, 2009 at 6:39 pm

15. Beautiful photographs. You know I always decide to make something with pomegranates, concord grapes, or chocolate on days I am wearing white. Despite my apron I always end up with tie dye-esque stains. I don’t know why I punish my wardrobe this way…

by Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home on Nov 15, 2009 at 12:30 am

16. I’ve awarded Sugarcrafter an Award on Taste As You Go! Thanks for offering so much inspiration, Tracy!

One Lovely Blog Award

by Michelle from Taste As You Go on Nov 15, 2009 at 8:43 pm

17. Great tutorial! i’ve always hate taking out the seeds from the pomegranate..so messy..but you made it easy with your tutorial! Gonna try your way! πŸ™‚

by faithy on Nov 15, 2009 at 9:34 pm

18. great site…love pomegranates!!!

by Amy Holly on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:55 pm

19. Yum! I love pomagranates… Great step-by-step directions πŸ™‚

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:49 pm

20. Thanks for the suggestion of peeling in water. I have a juicer, and have been enjoying pomegranites in juice concoctions all season. It is delicious and thankfuly does not take a lot of seeds for the flavor to come forth in the other juices.

by kelley on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:38 am

21. Hi Tracy,
    Wanted to mention an easier way that I use to deseed a pomegranate. After I cut them into halves (4), take a quater of the pomegranate in the palm of your hand (with the outside skin facing you) & gently tap the outside of the pomegranate with a spoon. The seeds will fall into your palm.
    Thanks for suggesting on freezing it (& how to do it).

by Saba on May 10, 2010 at 7:52 pm