Cranberry Coffee Cake

There’s been far too much cooking going on here recently and not nearly enough baking, so I thought I’d remedy that today. The truth is that I haven’t been able to bake as much as I’d like to lately because I’ve been busy preparing for Thanksgiving. This is going to be my first year hosting (yay!), so I’ve been planning, working on my menu, and doing a bit of shopping here and there. But, don’t think I’ll be too busy to blog! Quite the contrary; I’m planning on preparing as much as I can ahead of time, so I’ll be doing Thanksgiving posts every day starting the weekend before Thanksgiving. So, if you need any help, ideas, or just want to check out what I’ll be serving up, come on by!

Now, on to the coffee cake. When I first noticed fresh cranberries out on the shelves a couple weeks ago, I immediately grabbed several bags of them. I froze them, but left one in the fridge because I decided that I had to bake something with them soon. This past weekend I had my chance, since we had some company over Saturday morning…so I decided to whip up this coffee cake for breakfast. And as crazy as it sounds, this coffee cake replaces the rhubarb one I made this summer as my new favorite. Seriously, try this as soon as possible. You won’t regret it (your hips might, but don’t listen to them)!

Cake (adapted from King Arthur Flour):

Crumb topping:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish.Β For the crumb topping, whisk together the sugars, spices, salt and butter in a large bowl. Stir in the flour with a spatula. The mixture will be solid and dough-like (it’s almost the same as the one for the rhubarb coffee cake).

For the cake, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy.

Add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the yogurt and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add to the wet ingredients half at a time until combined.

Stir in those gorgeous cranberries.

Pour the batter into the pans and sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter.

Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

Posted by on November 11, 2009.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. This would be wonderful to have for breakfast on Thanksgiving! I look forward to your Thanksgiving posts. I need some new ideas!

by Barbara Bakes on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:21 am

2. YUM! That looks fantastic – love the pretty cranberries in there, and that crumb topping! To die for!

by CookiePie on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:43 am

3. Found your blog through Fahrenheit 350. I’m salivating! I love the recipes, the pictures, the look of your blog. I will definitely throw it in my Google reader!

by Camille on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:18 pm

4. Id love to make this and take it to work!! its so pretty and sounds so yummy

by Danielle on Nov 11, 2009 at 1:47 pm

5. I NEVER listen to my hips, LOL! πŸ˜‰ This looks fabulous…I think I would devour the whole pan! I love seeing cranberries in the stores now!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:06 pm

6. What a great idea. Your recipe will go well with a nice cup of coffee. Thanks for the recipe.

by Jill on Nov 12, 2009 at 12:25 am

7. I want a piece for breakfast:)

by Maria on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:23 am

8. I do love me some cranberried baked goods. My mom just visited and she brought some double-nut cranberry muffins. Oh my. Yummilicious. This coffee cake looks divine as well.

by Small Town Runner on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:21 pm

9. EVERY DAY starting the weekend before Thanksgiving? My my MY won’t YOU be a busy little bee! I look forward to your posts!! πŸ™‚

by Miss Dot on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:51 pm

10. P.S. — your cranberry coffee cake looks deeeee-LISH! πŸ™‚

by Miss Dot on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:51 pm

11. Amazing… I’ve been on a cranberry kick lately, and I think I will have to give this a try over the weekend. Good thing I’ve been stock-piling cranberries πŸ™‚

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm

12. Made this last night when I had the urge to bake (at 10:30 pm, what’s wrong with me??). They are seriously delish! I’m having another piece right now with my coffee. The cranberry tartness is perfect with the sweet of the cake. mmmmm And that batter with the sour cream in it was almost enough to make me dunk my head in the bowl. <3

by Nichole on Nov 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

13. Just made this yesterday morning and again tonight!! Simply delicious.
    I used lemon yogurt in place of sour cream, and all brown sugar (we were out of white) and it turned out great. Thanks!

by Erin on Nov 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm

14. I have fresh frozen cranberries. Do I thaw them first or throw them into the batter frozen?

by Erin on Dec 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

15. Erin – I throw them in frozen!

by Tracy on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm