Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce

I’m very fond of Italian food in general – pizza, ravioli, manicotti, you name it – but gnocchi is one of my favorite Italian dishes. Whether covered in a creamy tomato sauce or sprinkled with a bit of cheese, give me a bowl of it and I’m in heaven. I decided that it was high time I make my own, and since it’s fall, I threw in a couple of sweet potatoes…and let me tell you, I loved it even more than regular gnocchi! This recipe makes a ton – almost a gallon-sized freezer bag full – because I wanted to freeze most of it so that I’d have it on hand for dinner in a pinch. But, it’s also perfect for feeding a crowd! Once boiled, the gnocchi are cooked in a simple brown butter sauce, but of course you can top them with whatever you like.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Pierce the baking and sweet potatoes all over with a fork, and then bake, covered, in an 9×13″ baking dish 45 minutes to an hour.

Cool the potatoes before peeling.

Once peeled, put the potatoes through a potato ricer. I used the old rotary ricer that my mother-in-law gave to me when she was cleaning out her kitchen, and it got the job done.

In a medium bowl, beat together the nutmeg, egg, salt, and pepper. Then, put a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring it to a rolling boil.

Make a well in the center of the potatoes and pour in the egg mixture. Knead into the potatoes.

Add in the cheese and 2 cups flour, adding additional flour as necessary.

Turn out on to a floured surface and knead lightly just until smooth.

Divide the dough into 16 pieces.

Roll each piece to about 1/2″ thick, and then cut each piece into 1/2 to 1″ pieces. I’m not gonna lie, this part takes a while. But it’s so, so worth it. Put on some music and dance around while you’re doing it – it makes it more fun! Promise.

Use the back of a fork to press against each piece to form ridges on the gnocchi.

Move to baking sheets covered with parchment paper to get ready for boiling.

Add the gnocchi a few at a time to the pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 3 minutes until they float. Using a slotted spoon, move them to a paper towel to dry, and then move them back to the baking sheets. At this point, you can freeze the gnocchi (first in one layer on the baking sheet; then you can transfer them to a resealable bag). Do not thaw before cooking.

For the ones you want to cook, first brown the butter in a saucepan: heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet with a sprinkling of salt and cook until browned, 1-2 minutes. Then, add in the gnocchi and cook until golden brown.

Posted by on November 9, 2009.

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. WOW, these sound wonderful and with perfect timing. I’ve been thinking about doing squash ravioli with browned butter sauce, but these sound just as good or better. I’m definitely going to give this a try and am adding the ingredients to my shopping list!

Also, I had no idea that tool was called a “china cap”. My husband had one before we married, but we thought it was a food mill – maybe they’re one in the same. We love ours and use it for all kinds of things, most recently, for squishing grapes for jelly and juice.

by Kelly on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:57 am

2. mmmm. I have made gnocchi two times in the past, each time making insane amounts to freeze. The first time was comical, because I didn’t realize that you matched amt of flour to amt of potatoes (approximately) and I used a whole bag of potatoes. I think I was still kneading in flour 2 hours later to get a workable dough. I probably ended up with four gallon bags that first time! The sweet potato addition is genius. It’s getting to be that time of year again. Thanks for the inspiration!

by Jennie Menke on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:02 am

3. Never made gnocchi but do feel inspired to try now. I love it when they float to the top of the boiling water. True comfort food for winter.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:44 am

4. Yum Gnocchi! Love them…but unrelated to your lovely Gnocchi post. Thanks for sharing in my rant. I needed the support. Its good to know that I am not a Grinch.

Katy

by Katy on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:32 pm

5. wow! this looks incredible! My husband just got back from Naples, Italy and keeps raving about the gnocci he had over there and how it doesn’t even come close to the gnocci over here…maybe I can sway him with this. Great work!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:33 pm

6. Wow… it never occurred to me to make gnocchi. (Aren’t they just BORN in the bags you buy from Trader Joe’s?) I’m definitely for sure printing this recipe to try. Thanks for sharing!

by Small Town Runner on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm

7. I think I will attempt to make my very first gnocchi after reading this!! However, I don’t have a food mill or one of the things you used – could I just use a Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment??

by Amy (Sing For Your Supper) on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm

8. I’m starving! I love this!

by Kitty on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm

9. I adore gnocchi, any type! I made these last year with a maple-butter-brown sugar glaze. I think I ate a pound all by myself! This is a terrific tutorial!

by susan from food blogga on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm

10. Oh my! I must try these little dumplings. Gnocchi is my favorite and I bet the sweet potato makes them even better!

by Maria on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm

11. I LOVE gnocchi!!! Unfortunately, my husband is not a fan (if only I had known before I married him…). I’ll have to live vicariously through you! 🙂

by bridget{bake at 350} on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm

12. Amy – If you don’t have a potato ricer, you can always just mash the potatoes by hand and then use a fork to fluff them up a bit. You’re just trying to get them to be light and fluffy before you work with them. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:40 pm

13. Wow. These look delicious! My family is a HUGE fan of sweet potato, and they’re very much in season right now in Korea! We usually eat the sweet potatoes plain and haven’t really incorporated them into recipes, but this recipe looks too good to pass up!

by Jessica on Nov 9, 2009 at 5:55 pm

14. I have to try these; I get a great sweet potato fettuccine from the farmer’s market in the summer and I miss it so think these need to be made. I glaze with a brown butter/brown sugar/cinnamon glaze; mouth watering now!

by Barbara on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:11 pm

15. These look so good! I’m hungry…

by faithy on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:50 am

16. What a beautiful job you did! I am so impressed. I attempted gnocchi once and they turned out so poorly that I have never tried them again. I love the idea of using sweet potatoes too. This sounds like an exquisite dish and so perfect for the season.

by Dana on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:34 am

17. Those look sooo good! I’ve never tried my hand at making gnocchi from scratch. You’ve made it look pretty easy, so I may just give it a shot! :o)

by Marissa on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:47 am

18. PS…Pioneer Woman has a giveaway right now where you have to name ONE of your favorite food bloggers. I picked you. 🙂

by bridget{bake at 350} on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:58 pm

19. Farenheit350 sent me over and I’m glad she did

by Quiltingdaisy on Nov 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm

20. Beautiful! My mom bought me a food processor for my birthday, so I think that’d be perfect for the potatoes, since I don’t have a potato ricer either. The dish sounds too good not to try it out myself!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:37 am

21. I made something pretty similar to this last year…it was delish!! your gnochis are beautiful. Have you ever tried frying them instead of boiling them?

by Danielle on Nov 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

22. I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

by Penny Stock Picks on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:19 am

23. I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the great work Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

by Penny Stocks on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:55 am