Broccoli Cheddar Soup in a Bread Bowl

I have an unhealthy addiction to Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl (I have an unhealthy addiction to fresh, warm bread in general). But the soup is great too; perfect for cold, rainy days when all you want to do is curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good movie. It was one of those cold, rainy days when I decided that I wanted broccoli cheddar soup, but I didn’t want to go out into the crummy weather to get it. So, I decided to create my own. I made bread bowls using Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day dough that I had in the fridge – and by the way, have you heard that authors Zoë François and Jeff Hertzberg are coming out with a new book? It’s called Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, and it’s full of delicious whole wheat and even gluten-free recipes. You could make your bread bowls using their master whole wheat bread recipe, and they’d be even healthier and just as delicious. Try it out this weekend! Here’s what you’ll need for the soup:

First, prepare the bread bowls. To make two bread bowls, I took half a batch of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day boule dough out of the container in my refrigerator and divided it in half again. I let the dough rest on a floured pizza peel on my counter for about 40 minutes. While you’re waiting, make sure your baking stone and broiler pan are in the oven, and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

For the soup, sauté the onion and garlic in the butter over medium heat.

Remove the onions and add in the flour, stirring constantly. Add in the half and half, milk, and chicken stock. Bring to almost a boil.

Add the onion and garlic back in, along with the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.

While the soup is simmering, bake the bread for 30 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool. When the bowls are still a little warm, cut out the centers.

Season the soup with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom. Stir in the cheeses (and you can play around with the amounts; use however much or little you like) and let simmer for 10 minutes longer before serving. Pour the soup into the bread bowls, and enjoy!

Posted by on November 6, 2009.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner, soups, salads, & sides

1. Great idea!! Love the book :)

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:06 am

2. Wow ~ great use of this recipe! Looks fantastic, and satisfying! Perfect for snow days.

by Sandy Smith on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:07 am

3. Oh my gosh! That looks sooooooo good! (So when are you inviting me over?) (:

by Small Town Runner Karen on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:26 am

4. This is seriously homey food! I love this and plan on getting in sweats this weekend and making it ;)

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:36 am

5. That looks super yummy! I might have to make it soon.

by Cassandra on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:51 am

6. Man I HAVE to get that book!

by Sandy on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:16 pm

7. It’s a cold day today, so the soup looks even more appetizing!

by Jessica on Nov 6, 2009 at 8:29 pm

8. wow….I’m sure which one I’m craving more…but I love it! I need, or shall I say knead (haha) to get one if not both of those cookbooks….and soon. like…tomorrow. (cuz I’m too tired to go out tonight and get it/them).

by Danielle on Nov 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm

9. mmm.. i love bread bowls!!! and soup is the only way I’ll have broccoli.. healthy and comforting.. nice one!! :)

by Asha@FSK on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:41 pm

10. That soup looks just divine – it’s 7am and already I’m craving it!

by Erika on Nov 7, 2009 at 10:59 am

11. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love Panera Bread’s soup and bread bowls too…YUM! Now I can have them at home ;)

by Beth on Nov 8, 2009 at 2:49 am

12. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the soup looks so delish, delish, delish. It also looks soo presentable with the bread bowl. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope to make this one day.

by Rylan @ Art and Appetite on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:51 am

13. this looks wonderful! I can’t wait to read a copy of their new “healthy” artisan bread…. yum.

by SnoWhite on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:57 pm

14. HOW I missed this post, I don’t know. I have an unhealthy addiction to Panera’s French Onion Soup in a bread bowl. And for the side, I always order bread. ;)

You have inspired me!

by bridget{bake at 350} on Nov 10, 2009 at 12:31 pm

15. Oh yum… Your bread bowls look fantastic. I love chili in a bread bowl… Atlanta Bread (similar to Panera) serves their chicken chili in a sourdough bread bowl, and that is one of my favorites!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm

16. I share the same addiction! We should go to help group together…or I should just learn to make it at home like you did! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

by BeckyRos on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:26 pm

17. I added a post about this delicious soup today! Thanks for the great recipe.

by Memoria on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:15 pm

18. Thanks for visiting my blog. I replied to you there, but just in case you don’t get a chance to read it, I have copied and pasted it here:

“Hi, Tracy! I didn’t see when you were supposed to add in the garlic, so I added it in with the onions. Thanks for a great recipe!”

by Memoria on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:27 pm

19. Memoria – Ah yes, thanks for letting me know! I’ve updated the post. :-)

by Tracy on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:31 pm

20. I am like you, Tracy. I’m ADDICTED to the Broccoli Cheddar Soup in a Bread Bowl from Panera. And I’ve been meaning to make it at home forever… especially since there is no Panera near me in NYC. Thanks for posting this!

by Michelle from Taste As You Go on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm

21. I was looking for something different to serve my family on Christmas Eve. It was wonderful! I followed the recipe but let it sit in my slow cooker till guests arrived. Comfort food and delicious flavor added up to a new tradition started in 2010! Thank you!

by Eleanor on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:16 am

22. wow O_O what can I say!?? this recipe looks amazing,
    I adore broccoli recipes ?? just made it today & as a beginner I’m more than satisfied with the final result XD
    My mom & sister loved it ?
    thanks Tracy you made my day ^___^

by Choco on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

23. Oooh! I’ve always wanted to make my own soup bread, up till now I’ve always bought bakery baked ones. I love my chowder in it. This looks like another great recipe to add to my list of soups to try. I wonder though if making a wheat free soup bread is possible.

by Jaeny on Jun 2, 2011 at 11:12 am

24. I had something similar at a Renaissance Fair… It was delicious! Although I think it was potato and cheese soup…

by Vivian on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:09 pm

25. I love that you did everything homemade, including the bread. I’ve done the soup in the bowl thing (the kids LOVE it), but not with homemade bread. I’m very inspired though…bookmarking it so I can plan it during the upcoming cooler months.

by Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:14 am

26. OMG THAT LOOKS SOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

by I HEART BREAD BOWL on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:07 pm

27. This looks awesome. I am going to the store to buy the stuff now. How many servings does this make? Thanks. Cant wait to get started! :)

by Jenna on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:28 am

28. Jenna – This recipe made about 2 big bread bowls of soup. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 30, 2011 at 3:07 pm

29. Hey there- I’m making this right now and I haven’t put the cheese in yet (it’s still simmering) but it seems extremely thick. Any tips? Also, how long was I supposed to saute the onions? I kind of just guessed.

by Jaime on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

30. Jaime – I usually saute the onions until they’re translucent. The soup base should definitely thicken up, but if it’s too thick just add in some more chicken stock or milk to thin it out. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm

31. how many serving is your recipe set for? I wanna make this for our work soup group but Im sure I will need to double or triple the recipe.

by Kendall on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

32. Kendall – I filled two good-sized bread bowls with the soup for this recipe, so I would definitely double or triple the recipe if I were you. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jan 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

33. thanks!

by Jaime on Jan 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm

34. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one addicted to Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup. I LOVE IT! I think I will try this recipe. Thanks!

by Faith on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm

35. just made the soup and it is HEAVEN!! Watch out Panera!!!

by CHANEL on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm

36. So amazing!! I saw this recipe yesterday and decided to make it for dinner tonight!

As for the bread, I didn’t make it ahead of time so after letting it rise for 2 hours I used it RIGHT AWAY after kneading it a bit and it turned out great! Also, I just cut the recipe in half when making it since you said you used only that much for 2 bowls and it was perfectly portioned.

Thanks so much for this, we were so happy for dinner and I felt so proud being able to say I made the bread myself. I was a little worried on how it would turn out because the directions aren’t very detailed (how long or if bread should be kneaded, simmer with or without top, how long to saute garlic and onions before removing) and I’m fairly new at cooking actual meals for more than one college student but this is easy and delicious! I’ll definitely be making this again.

Thanks so much!

by Jia on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm

37. This seriously looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it out, hopefully I will be successful lol

by Veronica on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:07 am

38. Love this recipe! I’ve made the soup several times, and it’s become a treat at our house. Thanks so much for posting!

Only request I have. . . could you post the full soup recipe at the bottom or post a link to it? I haven’t copied the recipe down yet and it’s hard to scroll up and down the web page while cooking. :)

by Chris on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:30 pm

39. Sorry to post again, but as I make this, I remembered another thing. You didn’t mention when to add the spices, I think. I’ve been doing it at the end. Thanks!

by Chris on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm

40. Chris – Glad you are enjoying the soup! The spices are added right before the cheese (the “season the soup with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom” step in the recipe). If you would like to view the recipe without the photos you can simply click the “Print” link at the top of the recipe. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm