Cinnamon Spice Ice Cream

Oh, cinnamon spice ice cream. Where have you been all my life? I happened upon it randomly; on my second attempt at making macarons for last month’s Daring Baker challenge, I decided I was NOT going to waste any more egg yolks. Sure, I always try to use them up, even if it’s something simple like adding some milk and scrambling them up with other eggs for breakfast. But more often than not I forget about them, and they end up sitting in the fridge until they’ve gone bad. But not this time. I decided to make ice cream.

I also decided to choose flavors in keeping with autumn, which is where the idea of cinnamon and nutmeg came from. I tried to make the ice cream lower in fat this time as well by adjusting my standard recipe and using 1% milk instead of half and half, decreasing the amount of cream, and decreasing the amount of sugar I usually use from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. The resulting ice cream was just as delicious, and has quickly become my second favorite (sorry cinnamon spice, but coffee ice cream will always be my first love). I have yet to try a scoop of this on top of a slice of warm apple pie, but I am pretty darn sure it’s going to be heavenly. The ice cream is so simple to make! Here’s what you’ll need:

Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Don’t mix them together right in the ice cream can like I did, because the eggs started to stick to the sides of mine and the machine almost couldn’t churn later. (That’s why you’ll see little flecks of yellow in my ice cream, because I had to scrape down the sides).

Mix everything together in a separate bowl first, and then pour it into a sauce pan. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture thickens, and then add it to the ice cream can. Let the ice cream maker churn for 35-40 minutes. Transfer the soft serve ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze for several hours or overnight.

Enjoy on its own, or add a scoop or two on top of a slice of warm apple pie.

Posted by on November 2, 2009.

Tags:

1. ahhh… my fall sistah! you have impressed me again 🙂 yummy! looks like i need to run to the grocery store! i am making this! i love cinnamon ice cream!

by Tiffany on Nov 2, 2009 at 11:47 am

2. I LOVE ICE CREAM – and cinnamon. omg amazing! This look delicious perfect with a big scoop of apple crisp 🙂

by Gaby on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:34 pm

3. I love cinnamon ice cream and that bit of nutmeg you added just takes it over the top! Yum!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:35 pm

4. Oh, that looks wonderful. I love nutmeg more than cinnamon, so I’d probably go heavier on the nutmeg myself… but it still looks WONDERFUL.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:56 pm

5. That sounds delicious!!!!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Nov 2, 2009 at 4:44 pm

6. No matter what I had for dinner I always seem to find room for icecream. Cinnamon is such an obvious match for vanilla it’s amazing we don’t see this more often. Lovely.

by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on Nov 2, 2009 at 7:05 pm

7. Sounds delicious… I love cinnamon, but never thought to put it in ice cream. This is brilliant!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm

8. Sounds absolutely incredible and I can’t wait to make it!

by Michelle on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:46 am

9. wow!! this looks…i dunno….awesome? wouldn’t that be the perfect ice cream to have with pumpkin pie?

by Danielle on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:04 am

10. I love cinnamon everything! This looks so creamy and delish!

by Maria on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm

11. Yum!! I would love this! I want this with pumpkin pie, lol.

by A Bowl Of Mush on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:29 pm

12. I’ve wasted my fair share of yolks – what a great idea!

by Kitty on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:41 pm

13. That looks sooo delicious! Anything cinnamon makes my heart smile. :o)

by Marissa on Nov 4, 2009 at 11:28 am