Daring Baker Challenge: Macarons

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

Look familiar? That’s because I made these macarons back in August. Each month I try very hard to be true to the Daring Baker challenge and follow the recipe given exactly, even with the allergy restrictions I have to take into consideration. However, no matter what I did this month, I could not get this recipe to work for me using ground sunflower seeds substituted for almond flour. I tried twice, each time first following the recipe exactly, and each time making modifications when the few sample cookies I baked didn’t turn out.  No matter what I did to try and replicate the consistency of the batter used in this recipe, which is based on one of Helen’s recipes and which I know works, it was to no avail. I ran out of time, since my second attempt was so close to the deadline, which is why I am presenting these Maple & Brown Sugar “Macarons” that I made at the end of August. Ah, well…at least the flavor combination is perfect for fall, right? Be sure to check out the macs by my fellow Daring Bakers!

Posted by on October 27, 2009.

1. your macaroons looks fab! mine were a bit lumpy but still delicious!

by Gaby on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:08 am

2. those are so much more beautiful than mine were! i love them! some of us are attempting a fun #sundaymacs thing on sunday… wanna try again? 🙂

by Tiffany on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:23 am

3. At least yours have feet – which is more than I can say for the ones I made for last month’s Mac Attack Challenge! :-))

by RJ Flamingo on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:54 am

4. Sometimes you got to go with what works. 🙂 These look amazing!

by Dragon on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:05 pm

5. Hey, at least you had these macarons to fall back on! Great fall flavors too. Totally agree – Helen’s recipe is perfect.

by Beth on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:44 pm

6. these look gorgeous!! 🙂 funny, how different recipes work for each. I could not get it right with Helen’s at all.. Lebovitz was my saviour

by Asha on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:53 pm

7. Loving those flavors.

by courtney aka glamah on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm

8. It does sound like a perfect flavor combination!

by Barbara Bakes on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:07 pm

9. Yours look beautiful! I wish I had an old picture to fall back on… Instead, I posted a picture of my ugly failures!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm

10. I’m impressed that you tried…I would have chickened out. 🙂 These look darling, though!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:48 am

11. OK, so I had to take a moment to think here. I kept thinking that “macaron” was a misspelling of “macaroon,” but it was used too often to be a repeated mistype. I finally looked it up and found out that they’re two separate things. How neat! You learn something new every day…

by Miss Dot on Oct 28, 2009 at 11:29 am

12. I couldn’t get mine to work either. Very fast thinking to do a bait and swap! ;P These look fabulous in any case!

by Little Miss Cupcake on Nov 1, 2009 at 1:17 pm