Pumpkin Ginger Cranberry Braid

Well I tried, and even succeeded for several posts to stay away from pumpkin, but I just can’t help myself. Hi, my name is Tracy, and I’m a pumpkin addict. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

I made this bread a few weeks ago, adapted from this recipe from King Arthur Flour. However, instead of making two small loaves, I made one big one. I would NOT recommend this; while baking, the top of the bread was beginning to turn quite dark while the inside of the bread was still very doughy in the center. You’ll definitely want to split the dough in half after the first rise and make two smaller loaves, so I’ll write the directions accordingly.

All that said, this is my new favorite yeast bread! It’ absolutely perfect for any chilly, autumn morning, toasted and with a little bit of butter.

• 4 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1 3/4 cups pumpkin

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, sugar, salt, and yeast.

In a smaller bowl, mix together the eggs, butter, and pumpkin.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well-combined.

Knead the dough with a stand mixer for 2 minutes (3 minutes by hand). Let the dough rest for 15 minutes, then continue kneading for about 5 more minutes until smooth (8-10 minutes by hand), and then knead in the cranberries. Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about an hour or until doubled in volume.

Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Divide it in half, and then divide each half into three pieces about 10″ long.

For each loaf, braid the pieces together, and then pinch the ends together and tuck them underneath. Cover them with plastic wrap and allow to rise for another hour. They won’t get much bigger, but they’ll be puffy. While you’re waiting, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool the loaves on a wire rack. Give one to a friend!

11 Responses to “Pumpkin Ginger Cranberry Braid”

1. 1 Barbara Bakes Says:
    October 21st, 2009 at 9:18 am

Your bread is gorgeous! It would make a fabulous baked french toast!

2. 2 LoveFeast Table Says:
    October 21st, 2009 at 9:18 am

I just might make two today! I’m addicted to pumpkin as well and this looks delicious! I have a friend who just had a baby…maybe a pumpkin bread-welcome-to-the-world greeting!

3. 3 Tiffany Says:
    October 21st, 2009 at 9:39 am

tracy! wow! that looks beautiful! what a fall treat! kindred souls… you and i… :)

4. 4 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    October 21st, 2009 at 11:14 am

Let me join your pumpkin self-help group…I am addicted, too!

5. 5 Bridget Says:
    October 21st, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I’m totally a pumpkin addict too, at least this year. It’s really out of control right now.

And this bread looks like it would fit in perfectly with my pumpkin craziness! Plus I’ve been craving french toast, and how perfect would this be for that?

6. 6 Maria Says:
    October 22nd, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I love your new spooky look:) And this bread is amazing. I bet it is SO good as French toast!

7. 7 Lori @ RecipeGirl Says:
    October 22nd, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I’m rather addicted to pumpkin at the moment too. Looks fabulous!

8. 8 Small Town Runner Karen Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 9:34 am

I soooo love pumpkin and haven’t had ANY so far this season! Can you die from this sad affliction? Probably not, but it is making me VERY sad. I MUST buy pumpkin and try this.

9. 9 Amy J in SC Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Usually I would just keep on keepin’ on and bypass something so difficult looking as this (I’m not a baker) but the step by step photos make it seem doable. I might just get up the nerve to try it.

10. 10 Michelle Says:
    October 24th, 2009 at 12:58 am

Pumpkin and Cranberries! What a fabulous combination and one I’m going to have to try!

11. 11 Melissa Says:
    October 24th, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I just finished baking this! I didn’t have any cranberries, however, so I took some raisins, plumped them in some dark rum, and used those instead. Mine are not nearly as beautiful as yours, but they smell delicious. I’m glad I took the time to make them!
    (Hopefully they don’t fall apart when sliced. I can only hope it stays all together in the braid)