Apple Strudel

This is my last installment of What To Do With All That Leftover Puff Pastry. Promise. Because even though I’ve discovered that I really enjoy making (and eating) puff pastry, it’s definitely one of those “once in a while” kind of treats. There’s really nothing fancy about this strudel; it’s a very basic one that I made it for breakfast one Saturday morning, and as such I wanted it to be simple and quick. Not only did it really hit the spot, but aside from the puff pastry (unless you have some in your freezer), you probably have all of this stuff on hand!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the apples into small chunks.

In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice. Add in the sugars, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and toss to coat.

Roll out the puff pastry to about 1/4″ thickness. Spread the apple mixture over half of the pastry, leaving space on the sides.

Fold the top half over and pinch to seal the edges. Cut slits in the top of the dough. Brush the strudel with an egg wash and then sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut into slices and enjoy!

Posted by on October 19, 2009.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. “Last installment…” 🙂 That cracked me up!

It looks wonderful and I think I’d skip the slices and just eat the entire thing!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:40 am

2. This is my kind of breakfast! I can just imagine the wonderful smell as it’s baking!

by Barbara Bakes on Oct 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm

3. Mmmm, that looks lovely. Do you use whole nutmeg and grate it yourself? It just might change your life. We always keep whole nutmeg on hand now. It seems sooooo much more fragrant. Anyway, YUM. Thanks for sharing.

by Small Town Runner Karen on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:32 pm

4. This looks like a perfect strudel for breakfast in bed. I know Husband would love it. I just need to get on the pastry making wagon.

by Jelli on Oct 22, 2009 at 1:48 pm

5. This looks so good! I’m been craving apples all month, just can’t seem to get enought of them.

by Michelle on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:44 pm

6. so to kick october off i will be making this tonight to bring into the work tomorrow! wooo hoooo to apple making recipes! thank you sugar crafter!

by Jarrelle on Sep 30, 2010 at 5:22 pm

7. I grew up with these….. so yummy and the smell when they are baking is to die for

by stormy on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm