Eggnog

Eggnog might seem a little strange for this month’s Flavor of the Month – a tribute to John Hughes – so let me explain. Every year around Christmas, we have certain traditions. With my family, it’s always been to watch It’s a Wonderful Life and to get up early on Christmas morning and open presents, after which my mom would always make an amazing breakfast. Now that hubby and I are married, we share the traditions of both our families, as well as some of our own. One of our traditions started during our college years is to watch National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, so I decided that my tribute just had to have something to do with this movie. What I love most about the movie is the dry humor that Chevy Chase delivers without flinching, and one of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Clark and Eddie are drinking eggnog out of moose mugs. Clark says, “Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?” It has me rolling on the floor every time.

Unfortunately I don’t have moose mugs in which to proudly display my eggnog, so a regular coffee cup will have to do. The eggnog really wasn’t all that hard to make though, so I’m glad I now have this in my arsenal for the fast approaching holiday season!

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar until the mixture becomes crumbly.

In a medium saucepan, scald (bring to almost boiling, but not quite) the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.

Pour a bit of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour in order to temper the eggs. Then, pour the egg mixture into the saucepan, and cook on medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream.

Let cool, and then move to the refrigerator to chill. Or you can drink it warm, if you’d like – I enjoy it both ways! Serves about 4.

Posted by on September 30, 2009.

Categories: drinks

1. I LOVE Christmas Vacation! What a great tradition!

Also, I’ve never made eggnog; I’m looking forward to trying this! Thanks for linking it up!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:05 am

2. HA! HA! Our Christmas Vacation tradition is to watch it on Thanksgiving, after the meal 🙂 We have done it for years (my entire family watches) It “kicks off” our season! I LOVE that you love it 🙂 We quote the lines all year round and the eggnog line is one of the best! The other best part of that scene is that Eddie has on a hilarious dickie 🙂 I will try out your nog recipe! Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning!

by Tiffany on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:14 am

3. I want to put on christmas music right now and start getting ready for christmas! This eggnog sounds AMAZING!!!!

by Gaby on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:29 am

4. Hahahaha I love that movie! My favorite part is where Eddie says “Merry Christmas…shitter was full.” I know a lot of people don’t like that movie but I personally believe they are wrong:) Now this eggnog looks great! My step dad used to make homemade eggnog but I never got his recipe. I will have to give this a try….I crave delicious eggnog around the holidays….great idea:)

by Nutmeg Nanny on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:11 pm

5. Yum, I love egg nog! I never make it though and I probably should!
    This is the first christmassy recipe I’ve seen this year, Its going to get me started!

by ABowlOfMush on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:35 pm

6. I didn’t participate this month.. time just got away from me. But I love the reason that you picked eggnog. I don’t know that I have ever liked egg nog but I’ve probably never tried a good homemade version. May have to give this a try this Christmas.

by Donna @ WayMoreHomemade on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm

7. Can you believe I have never tried eggnog? This goes perfectly with this movie, another John Hughes classic.

by Kate on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm

8. HA! One of my favorites … my husband and I watch that one together each Christmas season … kids are too little still. Looks fabulous … I bet it’s the hap, hap, happiest Christmas eggnog ever! (I won’t quote that any further).

by Jenny on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:09 pm

9. Ill take Eggnog ANYTIME of the year, love love love it and homemade is always best! Now you have me craving eggnog…..

by Jen @ MaplenCornbread on Oct 1, 2009 at 11:13 pm

10. I love egg nog (the virgin kind), so this is perfect! Thanks for the step-by-step photos.

by Memoria on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:52 pm

11. This is the perfect time for Egg Nog! As soon as the chill comes to the air! I’m bookmarking this recipe!

by Kitty on Oct 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

12. I had no idea that you could make egg nog at home. What a treat! I love egg nog.

by gaga on Oct 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm