Turnovers

After making that wonderful puff pastry on Saturday for the vols-au-vents, I just couldn’t wait to make one of mine and hubby’s favorites – turnovers. So, yesterday that’s exactly what I did. Once you have the puff pastry, the rest is easy! I made three different kinds of turnovers: pumpkin, blueberry, and apple.

Pumpkin filling:

Blueberry filling:

Apple filling:

To make the pumpkin filling, mix all of the pumpkin filling ingredients together in a small bowl (or, you can probably just use pumpkin pie mix if you have it). For the blueberry filling, sprinkle the sugar over the tops of the blueberries and let them sit for a few minutes until they begin to soften. The apple filling I used was the same maple applesauce I used for the vols-au-vents, which I will be posting about soon!

After preparing the fillings, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the puff pastry to about 1/4″ thick. Cut it into 3-4″ squares, depending on how big you want the turnovers to be. I made about 10 squares.

Drop a bit of the filling onto each of the squares.

Fold the tops over the filling, and use a fork to press the sides together. Try not to let any of the filling get out; you can see that happened with some of mine, but I was hungry and didn’t care to fix it.

Brush the turnovers with an egg wash, and then bake for about 10 minutes. Then, turn the heat down to 350 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown.

The blueberry explosion you can see in the back is a result of the turnovers not being well-sealed, but oh well. They still tasted absolutely delicious!

Posted by on September 28, 2009.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: breads & pastries

1. i love turnovers but after fiddling with the dough to make the vols au vent, i just did not want to go beyond that.
    confession: i bought frozen puff pastry this past weekend. i felt a twinge of guilt over it but clearly i’m over it because i just might make them into turnovers now. 🙂

by Lan on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:37 am

2. Just out of curiosity, which was your favourite of the three fillings? All three sound delicious 🙂

by Melissa on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:53 pm

3. Melissa – they were! But my favorite was the pumpkin…it was like eating a tiny, buttery, flaky pumpkin pie. 🙂

by Tracy on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:00 pm

4. That’s funny…I was going to ask you about your favorite, too.

I think the blueberry explosion turnovers look very pretty & rustic. 🙂

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:05 pm

5. Bridget – aw, thanks! I agree; I think the filling leaking out makes them look even more delicious. Plus then I can tell what kind they are. 😉

by Tracy on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:11 pm

6. I’ll have one with pumpkin filling, please! Your turnovers look great! Wishing I had some puff pastry dough left over. Perhaps I need to make some more this weekend!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm

7. Oh my gosh what a fabulous idea!!! Now I know what to do with all that left over puff pastry!

by Ivonne on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:05 pm

8. They all look amazing, but that pumpkin one is calling my name!

by Teanna on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:44 pm

9. These look heavenly, I am going to try to make these for Sunday Brunch….yummmmm

by hmmills on Oct 3, 2009 at 7:36 am