Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Sunday was the first time I’ve ever been tailgating, and it was a blast. Hubby’s family supplied most of the food, but I really wanted to contribute something, so I was trying to think of portable desserts. Brownies, cookies – anything bite-size, really. I settled on cookies since I already had some chocolate chip cookies lying around, but I also wanted to make something a little different and fun for fall. So, I came up with these pumpkin cranberry oatmeal cookies, and I have to say that they’re definitely going on my list of things to make each year. They’re very soft, which I think is my favorite part about them, but they also make me feel like I’m eating just a little bit healthy. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

First, grab the 2 sticks of butter, and stick them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to soften them.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.

Beat in the eggs one at a time.

Slowly beat in the vanilla and pumpkin.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

Beat the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture, half at a time.

Pour in the oats, and then stir them in.

Finally, mix in the cranberries. Then, and this is important – cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the tops of the cookies, and then gently flatten each cookie with a fork.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yum!

Posted by on September 16, 2009.

Tags: , , ,

1. Gorgeous cookies! Lovely autumn ingredients, sounds so delicious!

by ABowlOfMush on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:29 am

2. Adding these to my fall baking list! YUM!

by Maria on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:24 pm

3. Looks delicious!
    Just out of curiosity, what happens if you don’t chill the dough?

by Melissa on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm

4. Melissa – If the dough isn’t refrigerated so that it firms up, the cookies won’t hold their shape very well and will end up flattening out quite a bit when they bake. They’ll still taste perfectly good; they just won’t look as nice. :-)

by Tracy on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:02 am

5. I never baked anything with pumpkin, pumkin pie never seemed that appealing to me but these cookies sound great!

by Gala on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:59 am

6. Mmmm…the ultimate oatmeal cookies!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:56 am

7. I’m going to my 2nd tailgate this Sunday and haven’t decided on what else to bring besides deviled eggs. These sound perfect!

by Cookie on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:58 pm

8. Yum! Pumpkin and cranberry cookies? So delicious!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:36 pm

9. I made these cookies last night (I also added some white chocolate chips), they are delicious! Everyone loved them and couldn’t eat just one, thanks for the great recipe!

by Becca on Sep 27, 2009 at 9:15 am

10. These sound amazing. Can you make these with canned pumpkin or does it have to be fresh?

by Sarah on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

11. Sarah – I made them with canned pumpkin. Enjoy!

by Tracy on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:55 pm

12. not sure if you will see this but a google search led me to your (great) website

when you say brown sugar do you mean light or dark?

by Kim on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm

13. Kim – Thanks! I typically use light brown sugar – but you can use dark if you prefer!

by Tracy on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm

14. Hello,
    This recipe loooooks amazing! Hehe, I wanna use this as my first cookie recipe. I was wondering if you used sweetened cranberries or unsweetened cranberries? Thanks for this wonderful scrumptious sweet~!

by Y on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:27 pm

15. I made these but I used 1 t of pumpkin pie spice as well as 1/2 t cinnamon in these. I just wanted it to taste a little more like pumpkin pie. But I decided the next time I make these, and there will be a next time, that I want to add pecans too. Then I have three of my favorite flavors together…. pumpkin, cranberries and pecans! :)

by Margaret on Oct 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm

16. I’ve been making these cookies for two years now and I am addicted to them. They are my favorite treat. A woman brought them to a La Leche League meeting I was at. I don’t usually like dried fruit especially in baked goods, but a little girl neext to me had one and I couldn’t resist because they smelled SO good. I asked the woman what they were and came home to find the recipe. I’ve made them probably 15 times in the past two years and everyone goes CRAZY over them.

Thanks!

by Sabrina on Dec 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm

17. YOU have the BEST REcipes around!!!!

by Peg Graham on Sep 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm