Ultimate Ginger Cookies

I was surfing foodnetwork.com a couple weeks ago, and I came across these ultimate ginger cookies made by Ina Garten. They screamed fall to me, and since I’m in love with everything fall, I knew immediately that I’d have to try them. I didn’t change a thing, except that I used about half the crystallized ginger called for in the recipe since I wasn’t sure if I’d like it or not. Turns out I’d rather go without it; I guess I’m not cut out for the “ultimate” part of these ultimate Ginger cookies. But, the rest of the cookie was absolutely delicious. The soft chewiness, the fall spices – I’ll definitely be making these again. The original recipe is here.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour the crystallized ginger out on a plate and chop it up into small pieces.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses for about 5 minutes. Then, beat in the egg.

With the mixer on low, gradually add in the dry ingredients. Add in the crystallized ginger and then mix until combined.

Roll the dough into 1 and 1/2 inch balls, and then flatten them lightly. Coat the cookies in granulated sugar.

Place the cookies on the parchment paper.

Bake for 13 minutes.

Let cool on the pans for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely…if you can wait that long!

Posted by on September 10, 2009.

1. Yum, Yum- I’ve made many a ginger cookie, but I don’t know why I’ve never thought to stuff them w/ crystallized ginger. Terrific idea.

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:01 am

2. Wow, these look so good! My husband and I both love ginger cookies, so I’ll be sure to give these a whirl. Thanks for the recipe, and the photos are lovely!

by Kelly on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:13 am

3. MMMMMm those look great!! I love using crystallized ginger, but do think its totally an acquired taste eh! Beautiful photos!

by Jen @ MaplenCornbread on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm

4. Can’t really go wrong with Ina’s recipes… These look fantabulous! I love soft chewy cookies… I think I will be making these very (very) soon!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:07 pm

5. I’m always amazed by how gorgeous your photos are. Yes, these cookies sound perfect for fall. I think I have some crystallized ginger in my pantry right now! 🙂

by bridget {bake at 350} on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:30 am

6. I’ve made these. They are wonderful and now on my holiday bake list.

by Annie on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:44 pm

7. I just received some crystalllized ginger. I am bookmarking this recipe. Your cookies look so yummy 🙂

by Hélène on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:59 pm

8. Gorgeous…what beautiful cookie. What a lovely way to welcome fall!

by deeba on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:35 am

9. Sorry, I meant cookies…

by deeba on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:36 am

10. I’ve seen countless ginger cookies, but seeing yours today realy makes me wonder how come I havent tried one yet!! They look delicious!

by Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on Sep 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

11. These were so good! I added a little vanilla and 1 tbsp cream. No crystallized ginger for me though. If gingerbread boys have sisters, this is them!

by Heidi on Oct 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm

12. Oooh. These look so amazing. I’m also probably skipping the crystallized ginger. It’s a little too much for my taste. 🙂

by Sarah@buttered-up.com on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:02 am